- You are here:
On this page
Welcome to the courses page! This is the central location to find course information, listings and links to content. If you are coming here to add a course please follow the instructions below. For information about how to use Grovo please visit the learning & development page
Adding a Course
If you have anything to share (no matter the quality level) please add it to this page by:
- Making sure all the content is publicly viewable. Upload video's to our YouTube channel. If there is a presentation in Google Sheets make sure anyone can view it. If there is written content either add it to the relevant part of the handbook or create a page like https://about.gitlab.com/handbook/people-operations/courses/sls-101 and assign the merge request to Abby Matthews who will happily review and merge it for you.
- Give the code a unique identifier in the form of AAA111, first three letters are for the department, numbers are unique and first number specifies the difficulty level of the course. As a guideline, in many university settings, there are only two levels, i.e. 1xx for "introductory" courses, and 2xx for more advanced courses.
- Add the course to the bottom of this page. If you made a course list on another page (like university or support) you can use just one link to link to the entire list. If the courses are not in one list please link to each individually.
- Optionally you can create a quiz in Grovo.
- We do not create custom course content in Grovo because everyone should be able to contribute to the courses. The courses are part of our handbook or documentation and versioned with git so people can contribute via merge requests. The exception to this are the the individual (IC) and manager (MGR) courses that consist of standard Grovo content.
- All videos are publicly listed on Youtube under our account so they are easy to discover and accessible from many different platforms.
- Please use Youtube instead of Google Drive that only be viewed by team members. YouTube's functionality is superior (watch later, caching around the world, support by mobile telephone providers, speed control). But allowing users (potential customers) and applicants (potential team members) to watch and sent it to other people also greatly increases the impact of them. If needed use the 'Organization code names' doc to obfuscate customer names.
Getting Access to Youtube
- If you don't have access to the Youtube channel you can find the details in 1password in the Team Vault.
- Type in Youtube, you should see a secure note with the information on how to get added to the account.
Uploading Courses to Youtube
- To upload the video, go to YouTube and click the up arrow at the top right corner, next to the GitLab profile picture.
- Change the security level from "public" to either "unlisted" (only those with the link can view) or "private" (only people with access to the GitLab YouTube account can view), so that you can edit the video prior to it being live.
- Under "Basic Info", change the title to follow this pattern: INF 201 - Using Terraform to manage the GitLab.com infrastructure
- After the video is done uploading, click "Video Manager" in the bottom right corner.
- Edit the video to start when the training actually starts: - Click Edit next to the video icon. - Click the Enhancements tab on the top menu bar. - Click Trim on the bottom right. Slide the left edge of the bar to a few moments before the training begins, and the right edge of the bar to a few moments after the training ends. Click Done. Take a screenshot of the second slide of the presentation (if applicable) to make it as custom thumbnail for your video on YouTube. You can upload your custom thumbnail under the Info and Settings tab when you are editing a video. After the video is finished being edited, change the security level back to "public".
Please note that the courses under the Individual Contributor and Manager headings have been created using Grovo. You will need to be logged into Grovo to be taken straight to them when clicking on the links.
Individual Contributor (IC) courses
Manager (MGR) courses
Leadership (LDR) courses
University (UNI) courses
Sales (SLS) courses
Customer Success (CST) courses
Finance (FIN) courses
Build (BLD) courses
Engineering (DEV) courses
Backend (BCK) courses
Infrastructure (INF) courses