- You are here:
- GitHost.io FAQ
What is GitHost?
GitHost is a single-tenant solution that provides GitLab CE, EE and CI runners as a managed service. GitLab Inc. is responsible for installing, updating, hosting, and backing up customers own private and secure GitLab instances.
Why should I use GitHost?
- GitHost removes the system administration overhead of having to manage hardware, infrastructure, upgrades and back-ups, without compromising security
- It allows customers to concentrate on their core business of delivering applications to end users
- It facilitates the use of GitLab for organizations who do not have experience in GitLab, Linux or MySQL/PostgreSQL
What is different about GitHost than other hosted Git solutions?
- Unlike GitHub.com, Bitbucket.org and GitLab.com, GitHost is a single-tenant solution which means your IP does not share the underlying infrastructure with other customers
- GitHost can integrate with your Active Directory or LDAP server for better authentication, as well as SAML, Crowd and all the OmniAuth Providers supported by GitLab
- GitHost has better performance than other hosted Git solutions because each instance only serves one customer, rather than many customers to one instance
- You can choose between automatic and manual updates. If you want, your server will always be automatically updated to the latest GitLab version, or you can stay on your current version and choose when you want the upgrade to happen
What regions does GitHost operate in?
Amsterdam, London, San Francisco, Singapore, Toronto, New York, Frankfurt, and Bangalore.
Can I customize my disk space?
Technically, no. Our plans are based on the underlying infrastructure templates. However, it is possible to attach an external block storage device that allows you to add up to 16TB of storage.
This feature is only available in our NYC1, SFO2, and FRA1 datacenters.
Will I be notified of downtime for maintenance?
Do I need an SSL certificate?
Yes, if you want to use your own domain. You can purchase one from vendors such as Comodo. No, if you want a
Is LDAP supported?
Is SSO supported?
Yes we use OmniAuth so users can sign in using Twitter, Facebook etc.
Is there support for SAML?
Can I make custom changes to the GitLab configuration?
Custom changes such as increasing the number of Unicorn workers or setting up an SMTP server for email must be done by a GitLab Service Engineer. Customers can request this by contacting GitHost Support.
What connections does GitHost support?
SSH and HTTP.
How is back-up and recovery managed?
Full backups are taken every day and stored at an offsite location. Restoring from backups can be done by customers without help from GitHost Support.
Does GitHost offer privately hosted GitLab CI runners?
Yes, we do. And you can also hook up runners from anywhere.
Can I migrate from my on-premises GitLab server to GitHost?
Yes, you can use backup and restore but this requires the intervention of a Service Engineer. However, we are working to make this easier.
Can I apply my GitLab Enterprise Edition subscription for use with GitHost if I decide to move from on-premises hosting?
What version of GitLab Enterprise Edition does GitHost support?
GitHost will always install the latest version of GitLab when a new server is created.
What level of availability does the service provide?
99.9% uptime (also see the terms).
What level of support does the service provide?
For assistance with issues that are specific to GitHost, we offer next-business day response times. You should receive a dedicated email address to reach the support team when you sign up for the service.
If I subscribe to GitLab Enterprise and use GitHost how do I get support?
GitLab Enterprise subscribers will have the ability to email our Service Engineers directly for assistance with both GitHost and GitLab, and receive the benefit of the same response times and service levels that are in place for GitLab Enterprise Edition subscription.
How is the service billed?
Subscriptions plans are prorated to the nearest minute and charged monthly.
Can I purchase an annual subscription to GitLab Enterprise Edition and GitHost?
Yes. Please contact our sales team.