- You are here:
- Engineering Compensation Roadmaps
Test Automation Engineer Compensation Roadmap
131000 at the intermediate level in San Francisco, CA USA
||The description and career development materials need to be unified. The title should be updated to Software Engineer in Test to reflect the team's skill sets and modern industry standards.
||We are attracting candidates and routinely on our hiring plan, though we have lost some candidates due to compensation expectations.
||Discussions around the title refresh have been brought up by team members. Existing hires have also held this title in their previous job experience.
||We are at the 50th percentile based on our compensation data. We are not attracting candidates who hold Software Engineer in Test positions. We have lost candidates in the hiring pipeline.
||There may be sensitivity that there are Backend Engineers in the same department (Quality) who are on a different benchmark.
||This role has incentive bonuses at the Distinguished/Director level and above, but not at the Staff/Manager level
- Materials include the title, the job descriptions, and career development artifacts.
- Recruiting is how we are doing against our hiring plan.
- Employee Satisfaction can be based on survey results, comments in 1:1's, etc.
- External Comparables should be based on market data and come from our People Operations Analysts .
- Internal Comparables are based on other GitLab role benchmarks that are typically paid at the same rate and should be agreed upon by our People Operations Analysts.
- Bonus is based on whether a bonus should be paid, and whether the amount is correct based on market.
- A = People are happy, we easily meet our business goals, and we compare favorably to peer companies.
- B = Most people are happy, but we can be always be better.
- C = People are split but we think we know what we need to do but we need to get it approved.
- D = Most people are upset, we're not meeting our business goals, and have ideas but no consensus.
- F = Everyone is upset, we're badly missing our business goals, and we don't know how to fix it.
As of April 18, 2019 we believe we should advocate for the following:
- Revisit benchmark with modern Test Engineering titles such as Software Engineer in Test.
- Change the title to Software Engineer in Test.
- A cost-of-living increase in the next compensation review.
- We will try to make the case for an incentive bonus for the Staff/Manager level before the end of 2019.