Gitlab hero border pattern left svg Gitlab hero border pattern right svg

Product Designer Workflow

On this page

Product Designer

Like other departments at GitLab, we follow the GitLab Workflow and the Engineering Workflow. Reviewing those resources is a good starting point for context on the Product Designer workflow below.

Product Designer onboarding

If you are just starting out here at GitLab, welcome! Make sure to review all the pages here in the UX section of the handbook, they will help you get oriented. There is also a specific page dedicated to Product Designer onboarding.

Working on issues

Scheduling of issues in a milestone

All issues in a milestone labeled Deliverable that need UX will be assigned to a Product Designer by the kickoff. The Product Designer(s) for a given area should coordinate with the PM and their backup during scheduling for any work that is critical. Product Designers assign themselves to issues in a milestone and should aim to schedule 80% of their capacity to work on responsibilities as outlined in the role descriptions, blocking off the remaining 20% for other proactive work. This can be anything from exploring GitLab as a product to exploring competitive products and how GitLab compares to them to conducting their own research and interacting with users and other team members.

Issues labeled Stretch may or may not be assigned to a Product Designer by the kickoff.

Priority for UX issues

UX works on issues in the following order:

Work

Define the opportunity:

Before you design:

Ideate and iterate:

Refine MVP/MVC:

Propose an MVP/MVC solution:

Deliver

Follow through

UX Reviews

Maintain

If the UX work introduces or changes any of the UX standards or building blocks:

Approach

As design can be subjective, discussion can heat up. Always try to be direct but kind. Try to give your best reasoning for your choices, and evaluate everyone's opinions. Come up with a solution instead of discussing endlessly. If you think additional perspective is needed, mention a fellow Product Designer in the issue.