- You are here:
- Community Relations
- Community Advocacy
- Community response workflows
- Hacker News
On this page
The #hn-mentions Slack channel tracks mentions of GitLab on HackerNews. It is a dedicated one, so that Community Advocates enable channel notifications and can respond to them as soon as possible.
- React to notifications and go to the #hn-mentions channel when you see them them appear
- Read every new message in the channel and make a decision for each one: does it need a response?
- Respond to the message if necessary, or involve an expert using the template
@sytse in the
#community-relations Slack channel if you judge his input is required, or in case of doubt
- Add a checkmark (
:heavy_check_mark:) to the message on the Slack channel
Every message should have a checkmark to indicate that it was processed: either someone responded to the mention or decided that it didn't need a response.
When responding to a post about GitLab on Hacker News:
- Post a link to the thread in the
#community-relations Slack channel and ping other
- Don't post answers that are almost the same, link to the original one instead.
- Address multi-faceted comments by breaking them down and using points, numbering and quoting.
- When someone posts a HackerNews thread link, monitor that thread manually. Don't wait for the notifications in the #hn-mentions channel, because sometimes they're delayed by a few hours.
Always bear in mind the social media guidelines for Hacker News in all your interactions with the site.
These mentions are piped to the #hn-mentions Slack channel by Zapier.