The Content team includes audience development, editorial, social marketing, video production, and content strategy, development, and operations. The Content Marketing team is responsible for the stewardship of GitLab's audiences, users, customers, and partners' content needs. Content marketing creates engaging, inspiring, and relevant content, executing integrated content programs to deliver useful and cohesive content experiences that build trust and preference for GitLab.
Roles on the Content Marketing team include:
Our content marketing mission statement mirrors our company mission. We strive to foster an open, transparent, and collaborative world where all digital creators can be active participants regardless of location, skillset, or status. This is the place we share our community's success and learning, helpful information and advice, and inspirational insights.
Our vision is to build the largest and most diverse community of cutting edge co-conspirators who are defining and creating the next generation of software development practices. Our plan to turn our corporate blog in to a digital magazine will allow us to add breadth, depth and support to our participation in and coverage of this space.
Please use the following Slack channels:
#contentfor general inquiries
#content-updatesfor updates and log of all new, published content
#content-hack-dayfor updates and information on Content Hack Day
The content team supports many cross-functional marketing initiatives. We aim for content production to be a month ahead of planned events and campaigns so that content is readily available for use. In accordance with our values of iteration and transparency, we publish our proposed content plans at the beginning of each quarter. We don't hoard content for one big launch and instead plan sets of content to execute on each quarter and published each piece of content as it's completed.
Content production is determined and prioritized based on the following:
We align our content production to pillars and topics to ensure we're creating a cohesive set of content for our audience to consume. Pillar content is multi-purpose and can be plugged into integrated campaigns, event campaigns, and sales plays.
Content production is aligned to digital campaigns and product messaging.
Pillar strategy is planned annually and reviewed quarterly. Content sets are planned quarterly and reviewed monthly. When planning, we follow the 80/20 rule: 80% of capacity is planned leaving 20% unplanned to react to last minute opportunities.
Content for us is stored in PathFactory. To request access to PathFactory, submit an access request form.
The content library in PathFactory can be filtered by content type, funnel stage, and topic. Topics are listed and defined in the digital marketing programs management handbook.
Published content should be shared to the #content-updates channel and added to PathFactory with the appropriate tags.
A content pillar is a go to market content strategy that is aligned to a high-level theme (for example, Just Commit) and executed via sets. For example, "Just commit to application modernization" is a content pillar about improving application infrastructure in order to deploy faster. Within this pillar, many topics can be explored (CI/CD, cloud native, DevOps automation, etc.) and the story can be adapted to target different personas or verticals.
We use content pillars to plan our work so we can provide great digital experiences to our audiences. The content team aligns to themes to ensure we are executing strategically and meeting business goals. Pillars allow us to narrow in on a specific topic and audience, and sets help us break our work into more manageable compontents. Each set created should produce an end-to-end content experience (awareness to decision) for our audience.
Here's an example of what's included in a content set:
|4||Awareness||Thought leadership blog post||Content marketing|
|1||Awareness||Topic webpage||Content marketing|
|4||Consideration||Technical blog post||Content marketing|
|1||Consideration||Whitepaper||Product & technical marketing|
|1||Consieration||Solution page||Content & product marketing|
|2||Consideration||Webcast||Product & technical marketing|
|1||Purchase||Data sheet||Product marketing|