Customer Insight Portraits are continuously maintained profiles of customers (organizations, individuals, and/or communities) that enable and simplify high-impact content creation of multiple types while minimizing demand on customers and GitLab Team Members.
Read the current GitLab customer case studies on the GitLab customer page.
Interview Questions: (Select the questions we should ask)
Feedback on GitLab
Impact of GitLab
Value Driver 1 - Increasing Operational Efficiencies
Is your MTTR (mean time to resolution) improved?
- How long to deploy (per day/week/month). After?
- Were there issues with deployment/bugs prior to GitLab? After?
- How frequently did you deploy (per day/week/month)? After?
- Are you using many tools or integrating? Do you use GitLab as a SSOT?
- Do you notice a development team slowdown due to using different tooling?
- If you switched from multiple tools to GitLab as a SSOT, do you have specific numbers to validate the time-savings?
- How much time was your developer spending in a cycle prior to GitLab? After?
- Are you noticing that compressed cycle time-savings? How much?
- How long were you down?
- What did you do about it?
- With GitLab, have you seen an improvement in your time restored? What is it approximately?
- After? what does the tooling set up look like now?
- User/license costs?
- Computer costs?
Value Driver 2 - Deliver Better Products Faster
How has detecting bugs earlier in the lifecycle impacted the output?
- If Yes, what were your numbers for #value prior to GitLab? What does it look like with GitLab?
- How long did remediation take on average?
- How often, after GitLab, do you encounter failures?
- How long do these failures take to remediate?
Value Driver 3 - Reduce Security and Compliance Risk
Are audits quicker and seamless now?
- After GitLab, did you notice an increase of security vulnerability detection prior to production, and a decrease in vulnerabilities once deployed?
- Specific before/after numbers?
- What percentage of critical security vulnerabilities that previously escaped development have been caught?
- What was the end result of shifting further left? Quantify fewer vulnerabilities in production? Fewer vulnerabilies for security team to manage?
- Did shifting left make security team more productive? How? How much?
- If yes, how much % (ballpark if needed)
- After GitLab, how much of your code are you scanning
- If no and have Ultimate, educate on how to use this feature
- With GitLab, how much time is spent now on auditing?
Impact metrics of using GitLab
Customer Use Case Questions Depending on the customers use cases; please select the appropriate questions below to ask the customer.
Version Control & Collaboration (VC&C)/Source Code Management (SCM)
Continuous Integration (CI)
Continuous Delivery (CD)
Development, Security, and Operations (DevSecOps)
Agile Project Management (Agile)
Simplify Development Operations / End to End DevOps (DevOps)
Cloud Native Approach to Applications Development (CloudNative)
- K8s executor?
- Canary deployments?
- AutoDevOps? Using Templates?
- CI/CD to orchestrate deployments?
- When did you start adopting K8s? (before/after GitLab?)
- How long did it take you? (cost of efficiency, speed, security)
Infrastructure as Code (GitOps)
Deployment Strategy Questions
Education Program Customers
Open Source Program Customers
Written Case studies are vital to showcasing the success of our customers and display how they overcame the pain and challenges their organizations were facing in their software development lifecycle. This is an opportunity to describe how GitLab helps overcome these pain points and provide value to the organnization. Often these stories require time for proof points and metrics to be established within customer organization. Here are the steps to creating written case studies.
Please note that we can facilitate customer interviews in other languages (FR/DE/IT/ES/JP) if the customer prefers this option
/data/case_studiesdirectory under Marketing site repo (www-gitlab-com project). This can be accomplished in the Web IDE.