- You are here:
- Team Handbook
- People Operations
- People Operations Vision
Happy Team / Culture
- Deliver programs to support positive influences on people’s lives.
- Establish an effective code of conduct in support of our vision and values.
- Implement policies people perceive to be fair, valuable, and necessary.
- Maintain a healthy culture.
- Visibility in eNPS across the company on a rolling basis, per division and team.
- If eNPS is off asked more detailed questions, while staying concise and DRY.
- Add twice yearly 12 question engagement survey for more robust engagement data.
- Be respectful of people's time, only ask detailed and frequent queries when actionable/needed.
- Build inclusive policies and programs.
Industry Leading Hiring Practices
- Attract and hire industry leaders and top-tier talent.
- Deliver an awesome candidate experience.
- Make effective hiring decisions.
- Hire the right person for the right role at the right time.
- Consider local pay in sourcing and hiring.
- Data driven hiring process.
- Sourcing for all positions:
- 80% outbound
- 20% inbound
- Actively hire globally.
- Define a candidate centric interview process.
- Review Interview questions with a team when creating the position.
- Regularly evaluate interview questions with team for effectiveness based on data from previous applicants and competencies required for the position.
- Evaluate interviewers for effectiveness based on data from previous applicants and hired team members. Everyone at GitLab should be able to conduct interviews.
Establish Employer Brand
- Become a preferred employer.
- Leverage brand awareness, established channels and network to promote and communicate the successes and challenges of a fully distributed model.
- Organize a conference.
- Be globally recognized as the first and the largest remote only company and the thought leader.
- Increase recognition and distinction from competitors.
- Ensure every team member has an engaging, educational, and enjoyable (fun/exciting) onboarding experience (onboarding NPS).
- Measure program successes, weaknesses, and points of failure.
- Offer people money to leave.
- Detect underperformance during onboarding; start a PIP early if there are warning signs.
- Incorporate more social team connection and automation into onboarding process.
- Provide training about git on the command line that is interactive instead of intimidating.
- Create opportunities for more personal connection and investment in the individual.
Way of Working
- Be as flexible as possible while keeping the organization safe from harm.
- Using product processes (sprints).
- Using our product (issue boards).
- Create and deliver product aligned with the business.
- Default to transparency. Only make something confidential if it is explicitly so.
Legal / Compliance / Governance
- Implement and maintain statutory reporting, training, and communications.
- Establish a clear set of governance and procedural obligations to maintain compliance with all local, state, federal and country specific mandates.
- Hire people as employees in many locations.
- Leverage visa's as a recruiting and retention tool (unique that you can prove by contributing (rather than by credentials), and that we will hire you in other countries).
- Living campus in the Netherlands for recent immigrants.
Learning & Development
- Provide development opportunities at all levels for all divisions.
- Create career paths for people to clearly see future opportunities, describe how to get there and reasonable timelines.
- Create leadership development programs regarded as best in class and a reason to join the company.
- Lightweight process to add courses.
- Have gamified / visible what courses you do.
- Used extensively by wider community (users, contributors, resellers, applicants).
- Have tests.
- Have support.
- Enormous volume of new and updated courses.
- Develop a model regarded as fair, competitive, and attractive for each respective cohort (Individual, Manager, Executive, Sales).
- Reward people for results.
- Encourage model behaviors using incentive programs.
- Pay what we need to get/keep great people.
- Preference for low cost locations; communicate this as a representation of our values (Frugality, but also Diversity).
- Evaluate benefit plans in countries where we have an entity or payroll solution.
- Develop competitive country specific benefit programs to attract and retain the best people.
- Don’t just offer the minimum package possible, truly demonstrate care for the health and welfare of team members.
- Create wellness program that can be implemented remotely for all team members.
- Attractive and responsible employer that provides freedom and equality while getting the maximum out of every dollar spent.
- Freedom for the team member (no 401k employer contribution, etc.)
- Team member interested 401k: 100 base, 10 payment, 10 employer match, 110 total
- Team member not interested: 100 base, 100 total
- Fair solution: 110 base for both, provide resources for everyone without a 401k to talk to a financial advisor.
- Freelancers and employees treated as similar as possible within the law.
This page is generated from a public file on GitLab.com
— merge requests with improvements are very welcome