- You are here:
- Team Handbook
- People Operations
- People Operations Vision
On this page
- Visibility in eNPS across the company on a rolling basis, per division and team.
- If eNPS is off asked more detailed questions, while staying concise and DRY.
- Consistently and quickly address shortfalls with training sessions.
- Have a yearly 12 question engagement survey for more robust engagement data.
- Be respectful of people's time, only ask detailed and frequent queries when actionable/needed.
- Above average retention of underrepresented team members.
Industry leading hiring practices
- Attract and hire people that are a great fit for the role and our company.
- Make sure candidates have a great experience.
- Make effective hiring decisions.
- Test candidates during the interview process to ensure we hire the most capable people, not just those who happen to interview well.
- Hire the right person for the right role at the right time.
- Consider local pay in sourcing and hiring.
- Data driven hiring process.
- Sourcing for all positions:
- 80% outbound
- 20% inbound
- Actively hire globally.
- Define a candidate centric interview process.
- Review Interview questions with a team when creating the position.
- Regularly evaluate interview questions with team for effectiveness based on data from previous applicants and competencies required for the position.
- Evaluate interviewers for effectiveness based on data from previous applicants and hired team members (ELO rating for interviewers). Everyone at GitLab should be able to conduct interviews.
Be a preferred employer
- Leverage brand awareness, established channels and network to promote and communicate the successes and challenges of a fully distributed model.
- Organize a remote only conference.
- Be globally recognized as the first and the largest remote only company and the thought leader.
- Increase recognition and distinction from competitors.
- Ensure every team member has an engaging, educational, and enjoyable onboarding experience (onboarding NPS).
- Offer people money to leave.
- Detect underperformance during onboarding.
- Incorporate more social team connection and automation into onboarding process.
- Provide training about git on the command line that is interactive instead of intimidating.
- Create opportunities for more personal connection and investment in the individual.
- Have clear processes to maintain compliance with all mandates.
- Be as flexible as possible while keeping the organization safe from harm
- Using product and processes (issue boards and sprints).
- Create and deliver product aligned with the business.
- Default to transparency. Only make something confidential if it is explicitly so.
- Establish a clear set of governance and procedural obligations to maintain compliance with all local, state, federal and country specific mandates.
- Leverage visa's as a recruiting and retention tool (unique that you can prove by contributing (rather than by credentials), and that we will hire you in other countries).
- Living campus in the Netherlands for recent immigrants.
Learning & Development
- Create career paths for people to clearly see future opportunities, describe how and when to get there.
- Create (leadership) development programs regarded as best in class and a reason to join the company.
- Have a lightweight self serve process to add courses.
- Let people show off what courses they did and gamify it.
- Courses are used extensively by the wider community (users, contributors, resellers, applicants).
- Have tests that are easy to make and take.
- Great volume of new and updated courses.
- Record every course and make available to everyone.
- Have plenty of guest speakers and cover broad subjects
- Develop a model regarded as fair, competitive, and attractive for each respective cohort (Individual, Manager, Executive, Sales).
- Reward people for results.
- Encourage model behaviors using incentive programs.
- Pay what we need to get and keep great people.
- Preference for low cost locations; communicate this as a representation of our values (Frugality, but also Diversity).
- Demonstrate care for the health and welfare of team members.
- Create wellness program that can be implemented remotely for all team members.
- Attractive and responsible employer that provides freedom and equality while getting the maximum out of every dollar spent.
- Freedom for the team member (no 401k employer contribution, etc.)
- Team member interested 401k: 100 base, 10 payment, 10 employer match, 110 total
- Team member not interested: 100 base, 100 total
- Fair solution: 110 base for both, provide resources for everyone without a 401k to talk to a financial advisor.
- Freelancers and employees treated as similar as possible within the law.
This page is generated from Edit this page on GitLab.com
— please contribute