Gitlab hero border pattern left svg Gitlab hero border pattern right svg


On this page


You can expense:

You can not expense relocation costs.

Visa Contacts

For assistance with any employment or relocation visa please reach out to the People Ops Generalist. Point of contact for summit and travel visas is TBD.

Travel Visas

Arranging a visa for travel

In some cases when traveling to a conference or summit you might need to arrange a visa to enter that specific country.

Always check the website of the Embassy of the Country you want to visit located in your home country. They will have the most updated information on whether or not you need a visa and what is needed for your application. In some instances you can travel under a visa waiver program (e.g. ESTA) in other cases you might need to arrange a tourist or business visa. Read their website carefully and ask People Ops if you need any help with acquiring the needed documents for your application.

We gladly organize and pay for local legal assistance, especially if you are at high risk of having a long process.

Tips & Tricks for visa arrangements

Timeline guide for visa applications

New Orleans Summit 2019 Visa Invitation Letter

If you need a visa to travel to the United States, please fill out this form. People Ops will verify accuracy and send you an email with the signed letter.

United States Resident Visas

TN Visa

GitLab Inc. will sponsor a TN Visa from Canada or Mexico to the United States. To initiate this process once a contract has been signed, People Operations will reach out to legal counsel.

H1B Visa Processing

GitLab does not offer full sponsorship for obtaining a H1B visa at this time. If you already have an H1B visa and were hired, based on proven performance in the role, we would review and consider providing support for transferring your existing H1B.

To transfer an H1B Visa, GitLab needs to initiate the transfer before the team member can start work. In the past we have used Immigration Law Group as our legal counsel to help us through these steps.

  1. People Ops should reach out to legal counsel to start the process.
  2. Legal Counsel will reach out to the new team member and their manager to gather all information in regards to the transfer itself and the position.
  3. If there is a need for a rush in processing the H1B (plans for travel outside the US, for example) then you can file the transfer under premium processing, if approved by the CEO.
  4. Once the documents have been prepared by the law group, they will be sent to the CFO for wet signatures, and then returned to the law group.
  5. Once the law group receives the signed forms, they can file the transfer with USCIS. Note: Until we receive confirmation that the transfer paperwork has been received by USCIS, the new team member cannot start work at GitLab.
  6. Confirm to legal counsel when the new team member starts work at GitLab.
  7. File all documentation in BambooHR surrounding the transfer.

Dutch Work Permits

Some of our GitLabbers in the Netherlands have a "werkvergunning" or work permit under the highly skilled migrants category of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND).

Here is a generally but not authoritative helpful guide on considerations around permit extensions.

30% Ruling in the Netherlands

Employees who are recruited from abroad can indeed apply (by themselves or with help from the company) for the 30% tax ruling. However, there are some conditions which need to be checked before applying to see whether the employee is (still) eligible.

  1. The employee has to work as an employee.
  2. The employer and employee have to agree in writing that the 30% ruling is applicable.
  3. The employee has to transfer or be recruited from abroad to a Dutch employer.
  4. The employee has to have specific experience or expertise that is not or is rarely available in the Netherlands.
  5. The gross annual salary has to surpass a minimum (adjusted annually).

BSN Number

A BSN number is like a citizen number. It is required so new team members can be added to the B.V. Netherlands payroll. It's also required for things like health insurance and opening a bank account.

There are two options to get a BSN number in the Netherlands:

  1. Getting a BSN number at the municipality. This process will take at least 1-4 weeks. There are no costs involved with registering and receiving a BSN at the municipality.

  2. Getting a BSN number at your local Expat center. It is possible to make an appointment within 2 weeks.

Right to Immigrate to the Netherlands

Everyone that meets the following requirements is welcome to move to the Netherlands (you will still need to pass the formal visa application process). If you meet the requirements no approval is needed, you only need to contact peopleops to start the process. If you don't meet a requirement you have to file a request with your manager, please indicate clearly which requirements you meet and which ones you do not meet.