Opportunity consults are deal reviews that focus on helping a sales team member maximize the likelihood of winning and securing the customer's business. They are based on a joint inspection of the "health" of the opportunity's Command Plan and a 2-way dialogue to identify and commit to specific actions that aim to increase the likelihood of success. During every opportunity consult, the sales manager should assess whether or not the sales team member is able to do the below and provide coaching to help the sales team member address gaps identified.
Below is a general recommendation of the format and flow of an opportunity consult.
|Manager Set-Up (5 minutes)||- Set expectations of the call by stating the purpose, process and payoff of the session|
|Seller-Led Opportunity Overview (10 minutes uninterrupted)||- Job aid: Opportunity Qualifier
- Provides brief opportunity background (e.g., relevant account history, recent changes on opportunity)
- Describes current deal state (e.g., sales process stage, forecast stage, key business issues, compelling event)
- Identifies gaps in Mantra, MEDDPPICC, and additional challenges for discussion
|Manager Consult (30 minutes)||- Job aid: Opportunity Coaching Guide
- Ask open-ended, two-sided questions around focus areas to inspect (in a good, helpful way) the opportunity
- Provide relevant feedback and coaching based on the identified gaps and challenges
- Assist the seller in defining an action plan and exactly “how” to execute on the next steps
|Manager + Seller Agree to Action Plan (5 minutes)||- Seller recaps opportunity-specific sales strategy
- Seller documents next steps/critical actions in CRM or via email to manager
Regular opportunity consults on strategic deals are a linchpin to successfully reinforcing and sustaining the critical skills and behaviors underlying Command of the Message and MEDDPPICC that maximize the likelihood of winning and securing the customer's business. To improve win rates, forecast accuracy, and predictability, front-line sales managers should conduct at least one opportunity consult every 30 days for any and all opportunities that warrant a full Command Plan as outlined here. Opportunity Consult Coverage is a pair of metrics that measures how well sales managers are adhering to the above policy. More specifically, Opportunity Consult Coverage measures:
The higher the Opportunity Consult Coverage, the greater confidence sales leadership will have in the accuracy of the forecast.
Familiarize yourself with the Command of the Message and MEDDPPICC Sales Manager Materials (internal only).