In our competitive business environment, customer satisfaction and retention is critical for GitLab. Improved post-sales activities can be a strong factor in achieving this. Given that the Account Team and the Solutions Architects have already built a relationship with a customer, post-sales activities can be beneficial in multiple ways.
“Live Optimization” is a one-time post-sales session, conducted 1-2 months after a customer signed, prepared by an AE (or a CSM) and delivered by a Commercial Solutions Architect.
The Live Optimization session should be viewed by the customer as a Post Sales activity in order to ‘fine tune’ their use and adoption of GitLab today. The GitLab team should look upon this session as a 70% post sale activity with the remaining 30% focussed on exploring the potential opportunities for additional users along with the timing on a potential up-tier to Ultimate and the respected timing of this.
To support the customer conversations and data capture, SMB Account Executives should consider using the Template Storyboard that covers all three steps of the Live Optimization engagement. This storyboard can then be used to brief the Solution Architect and other team members on future engagements with this company.
If a Live Optimization session wasn’t discussed during the deal negotiations, the AE should take time to explore the customer’s viability before proposing a live optimization session. This can be done during a synchronous Milestone meeting where the AE documents the customers business and technical milestones for a period of time defined by the customer.
Once these points are documented, the AE may suggest a Live Optimization session:
The AE conducts a preparation call with the customer, working out 2-4 topics important to them. This detail should be fully documented in the customer deck, and where possible recorded through Chorus for the SA to review. It should take an AE no longer than 25 minutes to capture this information.
Information the AE should be looking to capture for each milestone the company is looking to work towards:
Against all of the above, a timeframe to test or implement would be valuable to capture also.
The SA reviews the Milestone requirements as captured in the customer deck. This information should be shared by the AE to the SA at the earliest convenience, requesting SA support through the SA Request button in SFDC against the opportunity (if the requet is made adter the deal is closed, it can be done on the next renewal opportunity)
In preparation for the call, the assigned SA will:
Within the call, the AE is the DRI for the session and should be the facilitator of the call. The AE is also responsible for note taking and moderating the call as required.
It should be stated by the AE on opening the call that the Aim of the session is to analyze the existing environment with suggestions on how to improve and develop
The call structure should follow:
If applicable, the account team will follow up with further suggestions and recommendations.