The Internal Strategy Consultant reports to the Chief of Staff and works to support the Chief of Staff and the CEO.
Internal consultants can quickly gather and analyze all data related to a problem and present next steps.
They are the internal strategy consultants of GitLab who move from problem to problem in different functional areas.
This is a rotational role lasting 18 to 24 months.
Please note this role is equivalent to the "Staff" level in terms of base salary and stock.
The compensation calculator below intentionally only shows staff level compensation.
The Internal Strategy Consultant is a grade 8 role.
- Fill in knowledge gaps of the Chief of Staff
- Identify procedural gaps in existing workflows and work to resolve with optimization, automation, and data
- Support the creation of prepared materials (documents, decks) for the Chief of Staff and the CEO
- Translate practical needs into technical and/or business requirements
- Support special projects that are urgent and important
- Execute on projects and ongoing assignments for the Chief of Staff, as directed
- Demonstrate GitLab values in all work
- Detail-oriented forward thinker
- Excellent written, verbal, and technical communicator
- Experience making data-driven decisions
- Able to manage multiple tasks with competing timelines and deliverables
- Track record of leadership independent of role
- History of working cross-functionally to move projects forward
- Evidence of success in leading key business initiatives. Demonstrated ability to take a project from ideation through to implementation
- Experience at a strategy consulting firm is preferred
- Ideally, 2+ years experience in high growth startup environments
- Familiarity with the industry is a strong plus
- Ability to use GitLab
Internal consultants will almost always have specializations that support the gaps in knowledge of the Chief of Staff
- Experience stepping into a new data source and preparing new analyses
- A familiarity with proxy metrics where actual measurements aren’t available
- Ability to guide conversations related to strategic choices of performance indicators
- Experience leading ongoing projects and initiatives
- Proven ability to manage cross-functional projects
- Track record of moving key initiatives from idea to delivery
- Experience in setting goals and driving toward quantifiable results
This is a cross-functional role, so team members will have exposure to broader parts of the organization. They may choose to join other teams. They may also be considered for the Chief of Staff role as the Chief of Staff completes the rotation.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our globals recruiters
- Then, candidates will be invited to schedule a 50 minute interview with the Chief of Staff
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a number of 50 minute peer interviews
- Finally, candidates will meet with our CEO who will conduct the final interview
As always, the interviews and screening call will be conducted via a video call. See more details about our hiring process on the hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.