Chief of Staff to the CTO
This role will help enable communication, collaboration, strategy execution, and special projects across the CTO organization. The responsibilities include both directed work that will mostly be triggered by a direction from the CTO, as well as leadership work that is self-directed and includes inputs and priorities from the CTO leadership team. This individual will work in close partnership with the CTO to drive programs and execute and monitor our business strategy. The role requires a sharp, critical thinker who can solve business issues and communicate effectively.
- Create a structure for the CTO to improve visibility and accountability with their direct reports
- Manage weekly executive staff meetings, including (but not limited to) setting the agenda and providing insights and analysis to inform strategic conversations. Document and communicate decisions and action items from meetings. Ensure follow-up and closure of action items to increase accountability.
- Act as a sounding board to the CTO for new ideas and initiatives.
- Initiate and guide the CTO team OKR process according to the OKR schedule (in partnership with the Chief of Staff to the CEO).
- Manage, track, and moderate OKRs for Engineering to ensure CTO Staff remains on track, and know their attention points throughout the quarter.
- Lead the retrospection of the previous quarter OKRs in the first month of your term.
- Support the creation of investor updates, pitch decks, speeches, conference submissions, and presentations on behalf of the CTO.
- Effectively triage escalations. Our teams often rely heavily on quick root-cause analyses and fast information sharing. Time-sensitive escalations may include driving cross-functional conversations to get to the bottom of complex issues that have become a business blocker or helping ensure a fast turnaround for specific prospects and customer needs.
- Maintain and foster a close partnership, collaborating effectively with the CEO’s Chief of Staff on strategic initiatives.
- Conduct weekly 1:1 meetings with your manager and your peers (CTO Staff/Direct reports).
- Curate the Engineering Week-in-Review each Friday, ensuring the content is relevant.
- Record one Day in the Life of (DITLO) video interview with a user and share it across Engineering
- Organize and determine a program for a potential CTO Staff Offsite (virtual or on-site) in the last month of your term.
- Drive future special projects, such as past examples like
- Participate in all Engineering Division Key Review meetings by asking clarifying and strategic questions.
- Improve the quality of Engineering Handbook content.
- Collaborate with the CTO Executive Business Administrator on logistics, agenda/time management and administration.
- Consult and partner with People Business partners on strategic People-related initiatives, challenges, and goals.
- Provide feedback on the rotation process before exiting.
- Capacity to become a senior leader at GitLab
- Passion for doing whatever it takes to solve complex problems and build scalable processes
- Proven ability to quickly learn new things
- Comfort working in a high-growth, constantly changing environment
- Experience supporting global Engineering teams
- Track record of handling confidential information with the utmost sensitivity
- Proven success in project coordination and reporting
- Ability to shift priorities quickly and act proactively, while maintaining organization and control
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with stakeholders throughout the organization
- Concise written and verbal communication
- Ability to work independently and deliver results with little supervision
- Detail and results-oriented; driven and self-motivated with strong initiative
- Excellent organization and time management skills; ability to prioritize tasks across multiple projects
- Problem solver, analytical and organized thinker
- Proven track record of effectively interacting with senior stakeholders on cross-functional projects
- You have short toes and an aptitude for working well with a wide range of people
- “Calm under fire” demeanor
- Operational experience in a previous role
- Ability to use GitLab
- Structured about how to prioritize work and time
Stakeholders and peers
In this rotation, you will get exposure to high-level Leadership in Engineering, such as the CTO and CTO Staff. Additionally, you will work with the CTO Executive Business Administrator (EBA) on logistics, calendar management, time management, meeting note-taking, and time keeping and agenda management. Other stakeholders in this rotation are the People Business Partners, who are a strategic partner aligned to specific areas of the business to advise on People-related initiatives, challenges, and goals.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity,
Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Friends and Family days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.