The Fullstack Engineering Manager specializes in Engineering Management as a manager of people. Engineering Managers at GitLab see their team as their product. While they are technically credible and know the details of what engineers work on, their time is spent safeguarding their team's health, hiring a world-class team, and putting them in the best position to succeed. They own the delivery of product commitments and are always looking to improve productivity. They must also coordinate across departments to accomplish collaborative goals.
The Fullstack Engineering Manager role is a grade 8.
- Manage a combined team of engineers.
- Help your engineers grow their skills and experience
- Author project plans for epics
- Run agile project management processes
- Provide guidance and coaching to team members on technical contributions, product architecture, and other areas.
- Maintain empathy for the team by keeping awareness of engineering processes and practices. Examples might be: evaluating individual workflow during one on ones, conducting code reviews, or working on non-critical path bugs and/or features.
- Actively seek and hire globally-distributed talent
- Conduct managerial interviews for candidates, and train the team to do technical interviews
- Contribute to the sense of psychological safety on your team
- Generate and implement process improvements
- Hold regular 1:1s with all members of their team
- Give regular and clear feedback around the individual's performance
- Foster technical decision making on the team, but make final decisions when necessary
- Draft quarterly OKRs and Engineering KPIs
- Improve product quality, security, and performance
- May have more than one specialty on their team, per our shared manager team concept
- Ability to use GitLab
- Exquisite brokering skills: regularly achieve consensus amongst departments
- 5 years or more experience
- 2 years or more experience in a leadership role with current technical experience
- In-depth technical experience in at least one of the core languages, frameworks, or technologies used by your team
- Familiarity with other functional areas of your team
- Any additional experience required by the position's specialty
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Experience in a peak performance organization
- Working knowledge of the backend technologies used by your team such as Ruby on Rails or Go
- Working knowledge of modern frontend frameworks such as React or Vue.js
- Product company experience
- Startup experience
- Enterprise software company experience
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about open source and developer tools
Fullstack Engineering Managers have the following job-family performance indicators.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our Global Recruiters.
- Next, candidates will be invited to a 60 minute interview with the Hiring Manager.
- Candidates will then be invited to a 45 minute peer interview with another Engineering Manager
- Candidates will then be invited to a 45 minute direct report interview
- Candidates will then be invited to a 60 minute interview with a senior leader in the development department
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Read more about what a specialty is at GitLab here.
Fullstack Engineering Manager, Growth
Engineering Managers in the Growth sub-department own the delivery of features and improvements that aim to scale GitLab usage by connecting users to the existing value that GitLab already delivers.
The Growth sub-department teams can include fullstack, backend, and frontend engineers and as such engineering managers in Growth are fullstack managers.
The Growth sub-department groups are Activation, Adoption, Conversion, Expansion groups, and Product Intelligence.
Fullstack Engineering Managers, Growth lead teams of fullstack engineers that work across the breadth of the GitLab project in order to make the necessary frontend and backend changes to test hypothesis that drive improvement in user metrics.
These teams work closely with their counterparts in the Product team to analyze the entire customer journey from acquisition of a customer, to the flow across multiple GitLab features, and even reactivation of lost users.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.