Directors in Engineering at GitLab see their team as their product. While they are technically credible and know the details of what engineers work on, their time is spent safeguarding their team's health, hiring a world-class team, and putting them in the best position to succeed. They own the delivery of product commitments and are always looking to improve productivity. They must also coordinate across departments to accomplish collaborative goals. Senior Directors will often be given ambiguous ill-defined problems with the implicit goal of gaining clarity and driving execution/direction. Senior Directors are responsible for mentoring and managing other leaders in the organization and generally have Senior Managers or Directors reporting to them.
- Prioritization of hiring efforts to focus on areas of most need and quickly recruit top engineering talent
- Motivate and communicate across multiple levels of their department
- Develop strategies and new initiatives with their team to advance on an organizational and technical level both the department, the company and the product
- Have successful peer partnerships with other department leaders in Engineering, and cross-functionally (Product Management, sales, marketing, alliances, etc)
- Provide a consistent/successful interface between Engineering Development and Product Management
- Develop leadership skills within the organization and mentor other leaders
- Development, measurement, and management of key metrics for group's performance
- Drive high throughput and all connected key metrics on a strategic level
- Standardize the development process where needed, allow local differences where advantageous
- Ability to use GitLab
- Excellent communication skills
- Expert hiring manager skills and experience
- A well developed people management philosophy for managers and engineers
- Experience managing managers, senior managers, or directors
- Agile project management skills
- Commitment to understand, communicate and improve the quality of multiple teams
- Demonstrate longevity at at least one recent job
- Understanding of how to be successfully manage at a remote-only company
- Humble, servant leader
The Senior Director, Development is a grade 11.
Candidates for this position can generally expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Note that as candidates indicate preference or aptitude for one or more specialties, the hiring process will be adjusted to suit. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our Technical Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 60 minute first interview with a VP of Development
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute second interview with a Director, Engineering
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute third interview with another member of the Engineering team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute fourth interview with a member of the Product team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute fifth interview with the EVP of Engineering
- Finally, candidates may be asked to schedule a 50 minute final interview with our CEO
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.