Engineering Managers at GitLab see their team as their product. While they are technically credible and know the details of what engineers work on, their time is spent safeguarding their team's health, hiring a world-class team, and putting them in the best position to succeed. They own the delivery of product commitments and are always looking to improve productivity. They must also coordinate across departments to accomplish collaborative goals. Engineering Leadership at GitLab is cross-discipline.
A Senior Engineering Manager will manage Backend Engineering Managers,
Frontend Engineering Managers,
and Fullstack Engineering Managers.
- Hire and build a globally-distributed, happy, and successful team
- Plan and execute long term strategies that benefit your team and the product stage(s)
- Understand Engineering KPIs and seek to improve them
- Manage two or more engineering teams with at least two managers, engineering.
- Conduct managerial interviews for candidates, and train engineering managers to do said interviews
- Generate and implement process improvements, especially cross-team processes
- Hold regular 1:1s with team managers and skip-level 1:1s with all members of their team
- Provide your team with management mentorship
- Enable quad planning team collaboration within product groups
- Enable Product, Quality, and UX performance via solid stable-counterpart partnership
- Ensure psychological safety on your team
- Generate and implement process improvements
- Give regular and clear feedback around the individual's performance
- Draft quarterly OKRs and Engineering KPIs
- Improve product quality, security, and performance
- Participate in the Incident Management on-call rotation to help ensure the availability goals for GitLab.com are met, by working with reliability engineers and development team members.
- Exquisite brokering skills: regularly achieve consensus amongst stakeholders
- Collaborate effectively with others
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Build teams that excel through our values
- Technical credibility: Past experience as a product engineer and leading teams thereof
- Management credibility: Significant past experience as an engineering manager
- Ability to understand, communicate and improve the quality of multiple teams
- Demonstrate longevity at at least one recent job
- Ability to be successful managing at a remote-only company
- Demonstrated successful partnership with stable counterparts
- Exemplify diversity, inclusion, and belonging in leadership
- Humble, servant leader
- Ability to use GitLab
- Experience in a peak performance organization
- Enterprise software company experience
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about open source and developer tools
- Experience contributing to open source software
- Experience working with modern frontend frameworks (for example React, Vue.js)
- Working knowledge of Ruby on Rails and or Golang
- Domain knowledge relevant to the product stage in which you are looking to join (for example someone with CI/CD experience applying for the Verify and Release team)
- Be a user of GitLab, or familiar with our company
- Prior Developer Platform or Tool industry experience
- Prior high-growth startup experience
- Experience working on systems at massive (that is, consumer) scale
- Deep open source experience
- Experience working with global teams
- Be inquisitive: Ask great questions
The Senior Engineering Manager is a grade 9.
manager:backend(Backend Engineering Manager)
manager:frontend(Frontend Engineering Manager)
manager:fullstack(Fullstack Engineering Manager)
%% engineer:distinguished(Distinguished Engineer)
manager:senior(Senior Engineering Manager)
manager:frontend --> manager:senior
manager:backend --> manager:senior
manager:fullstack --> manager:senior
%% engineer:distinguished --- manager:senior
manager:senior --> director
click manager:frontend "/job-families/engineering/development/frontend/manager/";
click manager:backend "/job-families/engineering/development/backend/manager/";
click manager:fullstack "/job-families/engineering/development/management/fullstack-manager/";
%% click engineer:distinguished "/job-families/engineering/development/management/distinguished/"
click director "/job-families/engineering/development/management/director/";
classDef selected stroke:#333,stroke-width:1px;
class manager:senior selected
Candidates for this position can generally expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Note that as candidates indicate preference or aptitude for one or more specialties, the hiring process will be adjusted to suit. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our Technical Recruiters
- Candidates will be invited to schedule a 60 minute first interview with a VP of Development
- Candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute second interview with a Director of Engineering
- Candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute third interview with another member of the Engineering team
- Candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute fourth interview with a member of the Product team
- Candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute fifth interview with a VP of Engineering
- Candidates may be asked to schedule a 50 minute final interview with our CEO
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
To find out more about the compensation for this role, please
apply to a role
first. Once selected for a screening call, you'll be able to sign up here to view our
Be sure to use the same email address for both.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity,
Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Friends and Family days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.