- You are here:
- Engineering Roles
- General Manager, Meltano
The general manager of Meltano is responsible for building a great team, a great product, and a great user and customer base for the first integrated open source data science product. Meltano is a separate business unit and might one day be an independent company with you as the CEO.
- Build and lead our Meltano team with the iterative creation of Meltano, an open source convention-over-configuration product for data engineering, analytics, business intelligence, and data science.
- Hire and manage marketing and sales leaders after first driving awareness and revenue yourself.
- Build a community of Meltano users that will guide future features.
- Build a community of developers that contribute code and documentation to Meltano.
- Build a community of evangelists that talk about Meltano, share best practices and drive adoption.
- Monitor and analyze critical metrics (visits, conversation rate, incremental revenue, return on investment, cost analysis, return rate, etc.)
- Handle the budget for the Meltano team product development, hiring, sales, and marketing.
- Product planning: compare past and current sales trends to determine future product features. Understand the competition and what feature will drive acquisition and reduce churn.
- Communicate effectively both internally and externally to meet customer needs and expectations.
- Manage Meltano website, documentation, and social channels and make sure everything is public by default.
- Expertise in the field of data science and analytics.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field.
- Experience in software product development.
- Strong communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines, iterate and get results
- Have initiative, resourcefulness, self-motivation, grit and a high level of ownership.
- Has seen 2x growth year over year in a team or startup in an executive role.
- Degree in computer science is a plus.
- Masters degree or PhD in a technical field is a plus.
- Knowledge of GitLab, CI/CD, and Kubernetes is a plus.
- Knowledge of Python, SQL, and R is a plus.
- Leadership at GitLab
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Qualified candidates receive a short questionnaire from our Recruiting team
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30min screening call with our Recruiting team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first 45 minute interview with the Staff Developer, Meltano
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with the Senior Product Manager, Monitoring & Distribution
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an additional interview with VP of Engineering
- Finally, candidates may be asked to interview with the CEO
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
As always, the interviews and screening call will be conducted via a video call.
See more details about our hiring process on the hiring handbook.
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it
listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are
advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are
interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS),
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed
requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more
detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity and inclusion,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto.