The general manager of Meltano is responsible for building a great product, a great user base and community, and a great team for the first open source platform for data integration and transformation (ELT).
Meltano is a separate company to GitLab, but for the purposes of Total Rewards, the General Manager of Meltano maps to a grade 10 in the GitLab grading structure.
- Drive the development of Meltano, an open source convention-over-configuration product that initially focuses on data engineering and ELT, but may eventually expand to also cover analytics, business intelligence, and data science.
- Build a community of Meltano users that will guide future features.
- Build a community of developers that contribute code and documentation to Meltano and its plugins.
- Build a community of evangelists that talk about Meltano, share best practices and drive adoption.
- Manage Meltano website, documentation, and social channels and make sure everything is public by default.
- Communicate effectively both internally and externally to meet customer needs and expectations.
- Build and lead a team that will iteratively develop the product in collaboration with the community.
- After first driving awareness, adoption, and revenue yourself, hire and manage marketing and sales leaders.
- Monitor and analyze critical metrics (initially visits, downloads, usage, and community activity, and eventually conversion rate, incremental revenue, return on investment, cost analysis, return rate, etc.)
- Product planning: compare past and current usage and sales trends to shape future product features. Understand the competition and what feature will drive acquisition and reduce churn.
- Handle the budget for product development and hiring, and eventually sales and marketing.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field.
- Experience in open source software product development.
- Proven communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines, iterate and get results.
- Have initiative, resourcefulness, self-motivation, grit and a high level of ownership.
- Has seen 2x growth year over year in a team or startup in an executive role.
- Degree in computer science is a plus.
- Expertise in the field of data engineering and analytics is a plus.
- Masters degree or PhD in a technical field is a plus.
- Knowledge of GitLab, CI/CD, and Kubernetes is a plus.
- Knowledge of Python and SQL is a plus.
- Leadership at GitLab
- Ability to use GitLab
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.