Principal Engineer Roles at GitLab
Principal Engineers are recognized experts in multiple technology domains relevant to GitLab, and represent the senior technical leadership within their organization. They are responsible for driving the direction of their part of the organization, assisting management and other senior technical leaders create strategic roadmaps, and driving priorities to meet various objectives. This role reports to Senior level managers.
The Principal Engineer is a grade 9.
Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Collaborates and makes proposals across several teams on their engineering work, and helps their team members make informed decisions in alignment with the sub-department strategic plans.
- Exposes technology and organizational needs throughout their department.
- Teach, mentor, grow, and provide advice to other domain experts, individual contributors, across several teams in their sub-department.
- Play a central role in technical, business, and organizational contributions affecting the sub-department/department.
- Plan improvements and features with a 6 month view.
- Solves technical problems of the highest scope, complexity, and ambiguity for their sub-department.
- Interfaces with EMs and Senior management, and enables Staff Engineers to engage on department-level aspects of larger (sub-department wide) initiatives.
- Looks for innovation opportunities between several teams with a willingness to experiment and to boldly confront problems of large complexity and scope.
- Proposes initial technical implementation which supports architectural changes that solve scaling and performance problems.
- Ensures that OKR level goals are aligned across several teams in their sub-department.
- Guides conversations to remove blockers and encourage collaboration across teams.
- Provides a point of escalation for sub-department teams facing complex technical challenges.
- Attain a measurable impact on the work of sub-department teams.
- Interact with customers and other external stakeholders as a consultant and spokesperson for the work of your sub-department.
- Exposes the work of the sub department and their business impact internally.
- Knowledgeable in all specialities practiced within the Department or Sub Department
For more details on the engineering career ladders, please review the engineering career development handbook page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.