The roles described below are grades: 6, 7, 8
As a member of the Security Team at GitLab, you will be working towards raising the bar on security for GitLab, Inc. the company, GitLab the product, and GitLab.com. We achieve that by collaborating with cross-functional teams to provide guidance on security best practices across the organization, implementing security requirements and improvements, and reacting to security events and incidents.
- Ability to use GitLab
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- You have a passion for security and open source
Security Analyst Responsibilities
Security Analyst Requirements
- You are a team player, and enjoy collaborating with cross-functional teams
- You are a great communicator
- You employ a flexible and constructive approach when solving problems
Senior Security Analyst Responsibilities
Senior Security Analyst Requirements
- All requirements for a Security Analyst; plus:
- You have strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- You have the ability to build simple solutions to complex problems
- You assist with recruiting activities and employee onboarding training
- You prioritize collaboration across teams outside of Security
- You have the ability to iterate and improve on existing processes and programs
- You have the ability to build consensus without formal authority
- You have the ability to operate effectively in ambiguity
- You have strong knowledge in most GitLab tools, services, and infrastructure
Staff Security Analyst Responsibilities
Staff Security Analyst Requirements
- All requirements for a Senior Security Analyst; plus:
- You are an industry recognized leader in your field
- You have a proven ability to create new security programs and deliver successful results
- You execute program-level leadership across teams inside and outside of Security
- You have a detailed and comprehensive knowledge of all GitLab tools, services, and infrastructure
The Senior Anti-Abuse Analyst is responsible for leading and implementing the various initiatives that relate to improving GitLab's security.
Senior Anti-Abuse Security Analyst Responsibilities
- Handle tickets/requests escalated to abuse
- Handle DMCA, phishing, malware, botnet, intrusion attempts, DoS, port scanning, spam, spam website, PII and web-crawling abuse reports to point of mitigation of abuse
- Verify proper classification of incoming abuse reports
- Execute messaging to customers on best practices
- Monitoring email, forums, and other communication channels for abuse, and responding accordingly
- Assist with recruiting activities and administrative work
- Making sure internal knowledge reference pages are updated
- Handle communications with independent vulnerability researchers and triage reported abuse cases.
- Educate other developers on anti-abuse cases, workflows and processes.
- Ability to professionally handle communications with outside researchers, users, and customers.
- Ability to communicate clearly on anti-abuse issues.
See Security Compliance
The External Communications Team leads customer advocacy, engagement and communications in support of GitLab Security Team programs. Initiatives for this specialty include:
Senior External Communications Analyst Responsibilities
- Increase engagement with the hacker community, including our public bug bounty program.
- Build and manage a Security blogging program.
- Develop social media content and campaigns, in collaboration with GitLab social media manager.
- Manage security alert email notifications.
- Collaborate with corporate marketing, PR, Community Advocates and Developer Evangelism teams to help identify opportunities for the Security Team to increase industry recognition and thought leadership position.
Security Operations is responsible for the proactive security measures to protect GitLab the company, GitLab the product, and GitLab.com, as well as detecting and responding to security incidents. The Security Analysts in Security Operations play a vital role in identifying and responding to incidents, and using the resulting knowledge and experience to help build automated methods of remediating these issues in the future.
Security Operations Analyst Responsibilities
- Respond and assist with security requests and incidents submitted by GitLab team-members
- Review logging, alerting, and audit sources to identify potential security incidents
- Act on security incidents identified through monitoring and alerting sources
- Contribute to the creation and upkeep of runbooks to handle security incidents
- Work closely with the Security Operations Engineers to improve incident alertings and automated remediation
Senior Security Operations Analyst Responsibilities
- In addition to the responsibilities of a Security Analyst in Security Operations:
- Leverages security expertise in at least one specialty area
- Triage and act on escalated security incidents independently
- Conduct incident RCA's and propose security improvements to prevent or minimize future incidents
- Screen security candidates during the hiring process
- Mentor Security Analyst to improve technical and procedural skills
Security Analysts have job-family performance indicators defined by each sub department leader.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Qualified candidates receive a short questionnaire from our Recruiting team
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with our Recruiting team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with the Hiring Manager
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an interview with the Hiring Manager defined panel
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an additional interview with the sub-department Director
- Finally, candidates may be asked to interview with the VP of Security, Chief Technology Officer or CEO (at leadership discretion)
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
As always, the interviews and screening call will be conducted via a video call.
See more details about our hiring process on the hiring handbook.
For more details on the engineering career ladders, please review the engineering career development handbook page.
To find out more about the compensation for this role, please
apply to a role
first. Once selected for a screening call, you'll be able to sign up here to view our
Be sure to use the same email address for both.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity,
Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Friends and Family days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.