Software Engineering Interns will work on the Gitlab Product, like all engineers who work on the product.
This may include both the open source version of GitLab, the enterprise editions, and the GitLab.com service.
You will work in either a Frontend or Backend team on a mature stage product at Gitlab.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- The ability to understand complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills, but with plenty of support from mentors, managers and internship managers throughout the programme
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
- Computer Science Education or equivalent courses
- Contributor to open source projects
- Ability to use GitLab
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor
- Completed foundation studies (1st year of college/university) in Computer Science or equivalent courses
- Develop features and improvements to the GitLab product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way
- Collaborate with Mentors and your Manager to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance
- Solve technical problems of varying level of complexity
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment.
- Confidently ship small features and improvements with guidance and support from mentors and managers.
Due to the high volume of applications, the bar is set very high and applications will be looked at extensively when making a decision to move a candidate forward.
- Candidates are required to provide answers to:
- Technical Questions
- Situational Questions rather than STAR, as may not have any direct work/relatable experience.
- Cover Letter addressing 1-2 specific topics
- Technical Assessment
- Automated online technical assessment
- Technical assessment interview
- Behaviourial and Values based panel interview consisting of 3 panelists:
- Hiring Manager
- Misc Interviewer
- Decision is made and successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer. Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page
To Be Determined
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.