- You are here:
- Engineering Roles
- Threat Intelligence Engineer
Threat intelligence engineers research and provide information about specific threats to help us protect from the types of attacks that could cause the most damage.
As a member of the security team at GitLab, you will be working towards raising the bar on security. We will achieve that by working and collaborating with cross-functional teams to provide guidance on security best practices.
The Security Team is responsible for leading and
implementing the various initiatives that relate to improving GitLab's security.
- Collect and analyze threat intelligence reports covering new threats, vulnerabilities, products, and research
- Conducts deep-level analysis of malware, including how it is developed, functions, and is employed
- Author threat intelligence reports, driven by our security operations team's own incidents, analysis, and adversary engagements
- Evolve monitoring operations by extracting data from threat intelligence and create new content, signatures, and understanding of adversary TTPs
- Analyze event feeds and collected malware over long term to trend and correlate
- Investigate impact to customers to determine whether new detections or compromise notifications are necessary
- Capable of conducting threat research focused on nation state, criminal, or other malicious activities
- You have a passion for security and open source
- You are a team player, and enjoy collaborating with cross-functional teams
- You are a great communicator
- You employ a flexible and constructive approach when solving problems
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to use GitLab
Senior Threat Intelligence Engineer
- Leverages security expertise in at least one specialty area
- Triages and handles/escalates security issues independently
- Conduct security architecture reviews and makes recommendations
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Screen security candidates during hiring process
A Senior Security Engineer may want to pursue the security engineering management track at this point. See Engineering Career Development for more detail.
Staff Threat Intelligence Engineer
The Staff Security Engineer role extends the Senior Threat Intelligence Engineer role.
- Recognized security expert in multiple specialty areas, with cross-functional team experience
- Make security architecture decisions
- Provide actionable and constructive feedback to cross-functional teams
- Implement security technical and process improvements
- Exquisite written and verbal communication skills
- Author technical security documents
- Author questions/processes for hiring and screening candidates
- Write public blog posts and represent GitLab as a speaker at security conferences
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Qualified candidates receive a short questionnaire from our Recruiting team
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with our Recruiting team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with Security Engineer
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an interview with Director of Security
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an additional interview with VP of Engineering
- Finally, candidates may be asked to interview with the CEO
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
As always, the interviews and screening call will be conducted via a video call.
See more details about our hiring process on the hiring handbook.
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it
listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are
advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are
interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS),
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed
requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more
detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity and inclusion,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.