- You are here:
- Merge Request Coach
The main goal of a Merge Request Coach is to help merge requests from the community get merged into GitLab.
- Triage merge requests labeled
- Close merge requests that we don't want, with a clear explanation on the reasons why, so that people don't feel discouraged.
- Help contributors to get their merge requests to meet the contribution acceptance criteria.
- If the contributor is unresponsive or if they are unable to finish it, finish their merge requests.
- Close the original merge request and say that you will finish it.
- Check out the branch locally.
- Keep at least one original commit (you can squash commits if there are a lot) from the author.
- Make sure a changelog entry crediting the author exists.
- Add your own commits to improve and finish the original work.
- Push to a new branch and open a new merge request.
- Create an MR to add "Merge Request coach" to your team page entry.
- Explain your motivation in the MR body:
- Why you want to become a Merge Request coach?
- How much time you are planning to spend on it?
- Which duties you are focusing on (e.g. triage, finish stale MRs)?
@gitlab-org/coaches and assign one of them.