The Business Systems job family at GitLab is in charge of designing, delivering, and maintaining high quality business systems solutions by applying project management methodology.
- Creates interdepartmental feedback loops, workflows, and processes.
- Identify and document new processes and methods for team member workflows
- Triage / troubleshoot issues and find workarounds where possible
- Submit and contribute to bug reports and feature requests/improvements when relevant to project work
- Work closely with GitLab teams to escalate and prioritize issues
- 3-5 years experience in an administrative role
- Excellent written and spoken communication
- The ability to absorb abstract and complex problems and then communicate these problems clearly and concisely to others
- Patience, kindness and empathy
- Ability to work competently with a variety of different groups across GitLab
- A proactive self-starter who can think strategically whilst thriving in a reactive environment
- Highly organized and methodical with true attention to detail
- A passion for helping others and problem solving
- Ability to use GitLab
Business Systems Specialist
The Business Systems Specialist is a grade 5.
The Business Systems Specialists share the same responsibilities outlined above.
The Business Systems Specialists share the same responsibilities outlined above.
Business Systems Analyst
The Business System Analyst is a grade 6.
- Develop business requirements, write the business case, define business logic, create optimization and monitoring strategies and work with the implementation teams to communicate and develop solutions
- Work with cross-functional business teams to facilitate alignment around project issues and define best practice business processes
- Assist with Business Process Mapping and gap analysis, project scoping, planning, and scheduling
- Be a communication focal point providing coordination for IT/Business Systems projects
- Understand system capabilities and business requirements, and drive standard & scalable solutions. Anticipate risks and mitigating them before they become serious.
- Identify opportunities to increase efficiency and productivity within the context of the overall business strategy
- Document work using the GitLab’s standards, methods and tools
- Partner with ICs and Operations/Managers to establish timelines and ensure delivery of projects and requests
- 1-3 (or more) years of experience in software project management
- Multiple successful business system projects and experience with business analysis and business process improvement, preferably in a high-growth enterprise SaaS environment
- Good analytical skills, understanding of project lifecycles, and the ability to act in an entrepreneurial manner to ensure the software delivered matches the business communities' needs
- Strong written, verbal, and listening communication skills: an articulate and effective communicator able to describe complex problems and solutions in understandable terms; ability to frame communications to a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Experience with supporting multiple implementation work-streams simultaneously
- Strong collaboration skills while working with SME's, senior leaders, and business users/ stakeholders to drive business analysis/user requirements,
- Strong experience in negotiating scope and priorities and balancing for successful outcomes
- Basic understanding of database and integration approaches.
Nice to have
- Be able to write basic - medium complexity SQL queries
- Familiarity with customer lifecycle tools and how they integrate: Marketo, Zuora, Salesforce, Zendesk
- A love of open source
- Experience with SaaS products
- Experience using GitLab/Git
Senior Business Systems Analyst
The Senior Business Systems Analyst is a grade 7.
All the responsibilities of a Business Systems Analyst, plus:
- Drive a program of improvement with multiple internal customer teams with limited managerial direction
- Proactively identify inefficiencies or future inefficiencies, and foster organizational momentum to address
- Provide best practice, or experience driven solutions to business problems
- Work on long-term, multi-stage projects of high complexity
- Exert significant influence on the overall objectives and long-range goals of Business Operations, and internal customer teams.
- Keep an even keel, and act as a point of stability and focus for ambitious or controversial projects
- Identify and drive best practices for Business Operations projects
- Foresee and drive net new organizational capabilities
All the requirements of a Business Systems Analyst, plus:
- Proven track record of improving operational efficiency
- 10 years experience, demonstrating consistent advancement or development, with at least half in related roles
- Over three years in a high-growth technology company, working hands on with our tech stack at our stage in operational maturity
- Ability and desire to grow and coach less tenured team-members
Performance Indicators (PI)
The next step in the Business Systems job family is a management role which is not yet defined at GitLab
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with our Business Systems Analysts in a panel interview
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a second interview with our IT Operations Team (may be a panel)
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule a third interview with a Team Member (may be member of the SalesOps, MarketingOps, or Data Ops team)
- Then the candidate will be invited to interview with the Director of Enterprise Applications
- Finally, candidates may be asked to interview with our CFO or CEO
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page
To find out more about the compensation for this role, please
apply to a role
first. Once selected for a screening call, you'll be able to sign up here to view our
Be sure to use the same email address for both.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
- Transparency: over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered
- Iteration: empower people to be effective, Merge Request rate, everyone using the product, DRI, have an impact
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: high percentage of women,
Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Compensation: pay at or above the 50th percentile, stock options, office equipment
- Work/Life Harmony: don't compete on hours worked, flexible workday, Friends and Family days
- Remote Done Right: all remote, prolific inventor of best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.