Director, Data and Analytics
The director of data and analytics is an organizational leader with a passion for data and analysis who has a clear vision for how data can transform company strategy. The role requires hands on leadership necessary to grow a team through the start up phase into a mature organization. The director of data and analytics is responsible for scaling the data function in an environment based primarily on cloud based SaaS systems. The director must consider global operations and be able to manage a remote, geographically dispersed team. The director ensures that the organization always approaches work with the goal of continuous improvement.
The Director, Data and Analytics is a grade 10.
- Drive the scope and effectiveness of the data and analysis function at GitLab.
- Ensure the Company’s cloud and on-premise data is centralized into a single data lake and modeled to support data analysis requirements from all functional groups of the Company.
- Create a common data framework so that all company data can be analyzed in a unified manner.
- Work with the product, operations, and executive management teams to create a data enabled user journey.
- Create and execute a plan to develop and mature our ability to measure and optimize usage growth, mapped to our user journey.
- Ensure that all transactional systems can communicate with the data warehouse and that production data adheres to a unified data model.
- Develop a roadmap for the data and analytics function that clearly defines ownership and responsibility between the central data function and the functional groups.
- Collaborate with all functions of the company to ensure data needs are addressed and the required data is modeled and available to analysts and end-users.
- Build a multi-modal service model that meets the non-homogeneous needs of our functional groups – Full-service to Self-Service, and across our data stack.
- Work with product, operations and executive management to guide maintain a holistic vision of the future of data at GitLab, and help leadership plan for any changes in our data strategy or needs. An example is in-product analytics.
- This position reports directly to the CFO and works closely with the executive team to develop an organization plan that addresses company wide analytic resources in either a direct report or matrix model.
- Postgraduate work or equivalent experience (Masters or PhD) in a quantitative field such as math, physics, computer science, statistics etc.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in a senior leadership position managing an analytics team.
- Experience with a high growth company using on-premise tools and on-demand (SaaS) transactional systems.
- Hands on experience with Python, SQL and relational databases. Experience with Snowflake is a plus.
- Have previously lead a corporate data platform project.
- Experience with open source data & analytics tools.
- Experience working with multiple executive level business stake holders.
- Must have experience with analytic and data visualization tools such as Periscope.
- Share and work in accordance with our values.
- Must be able to work in alignment with Americas timezones.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Ability to use GitLab
Senior Director, Data and Analytics
The Senior Director, Data and Analytics is a grade 11.
Performance Indicators (PI)
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with our CFO
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule a second round of interviews with members of the e-group, finance and data teams.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
The next step in the Data and Analytics Leadership job family is to move to the VP of IT job family.
To find out more about the compensation for this role, please
apply to a role
first. Once selected for a screening call, you'll be able to sign up here to view our
Be sure to use the same email address for both.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
- Transparency: over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered
- Iteration: empower people to be effective, Merge Request rate, everyone using the product, DRI, have an impact
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: high percentage of women,
Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Compensation: pay at or above the 50th percentile, stock options, office equipment
- Work/Life Harmony: don't compete on hours worked, flexible workday, Friends and Family days
- Remote Done Right: all remote, prolific inventor of best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.