- You are here:
- Finance Roles
- Director of Internal Audit
The Director, Internal Audit reports directly to the chairman of the audit committee with a dotted line day to day control and administrative reporting relationship with the principal accounting officer.The Director, Internal Audit will be responsible for preparing and implementing a risk-based audit plan to assess, report on, and recommend improvements to the company’s key operational and finance activities and internal controls. Additionally, the position is responsible for identifying and assisting in documenting existing internal finance and disclosure controls, implementing and documenting new internal controls, and establishing an internal monitoring function to audit the company’s compliance with such internal controls. The position will have a key role in assessing the company’s compliance with the requirements of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002. The position will be further called on to identify and implement finance department process improvements. Once documented, ownership for and changing internal control procedures will reside in the owner of the control.
- Identify, understand, and document processes and procedures surrounding internal controls. Continually monitor and update the assessment of the control environment, keeping abreast of significant control issues, trends and developments.
- Develop test plans and coordinate the performance of management testing of internal controls required by Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Identify and assess the implementation of new controls as necessary.
- Prepare and update a comprehensive risk-based audit plan for evaluating the effectiveness of controls in place to manage significant risk exposures, ensure the integrity and reliability of information and financial reporting, safeguard company assets, and comply with laws and regulations.
- Identify and design anti-fraud criteria and controls.
- Monitor and audit the company’s compliance with established internal controls.
- Establish procedures and plan for conducting internal control audits.
- Report findings to senior management and the company’s audit committee.
- Understand the requirements of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (and any related SEC pronouncements) and assist in maintaining processes and functions to help ensure compliance with such requirements.
- Coordinate activities with external auditors to support their audit and review procedures.
- Participate in disclosure committee meetings.
- Review finance department business processes and suggest ways to improve such processes.
- Other duties, as directed by the Audit Committee and/or the Principal Accounting Officer:
- Identify and Review Financial Risks within the Company.
- Develop Audit plans that will be approved by the Audit Committee to review 1-3 Financial Risks audits and report findings first to the area related to these Financial Risks and report final reports to the Audit Committee.
- Handle other audits or reviews as directed by the Audit Committee, CFO or PAO.
- Comprehensive knowledge of auditing practices, procedures, and principles, sufficient to interpret and analyze complex concepts and apply them in innovative ways. Skills and knowledge should include an extensive understanding of financial, operational, market and credit risk. Should have expert knowledge of generally accepted auditing standards in the US.
- Capability and desire to evaluate the effectiveness of management in their stewardship of GitLab’s resources and their compliance with established corporate policy and procedures, including corporate governance, code of conduct standards, and business ethics and conduct policy.
- Creative approaches and solutions necessary to solve complex problems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with experience interacting with and presenting to senior management-level personnel.
- The candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills and will serve as a member of the senior management team.
- The candidate should be an energetic, entrepreneurial self-starter capable of self-direction.
- He/she should be driven to deliver quality results on time, with a high degree of integrity, in a highly ethical and professional manner.
- The candidate should be self-reliant and have strong initiative as well as possess solid business judgment.
- He/she must be resourceful and strategic and possess excellent analytical abilities.
- Able to utilize Best Practices on recommendations and audit findings.
- A minimum of ten years of experience in a public accounting firm and or software industry with a heavy emphasis on financial and accounting applications and financial and operational controls.
- Experience in an internal audit function preferred.
- Experience in the software industry highly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related finance field. Chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA) desirable.
- Certified internal auditor (CIA) or certified information systems auditor (CISA) preferred.
- Ability to use GitLab
Performance Indicators (PI)
- New Hire Location Factor < 0.69
- Completing tasks and audits timely and efficiently
- Utilizing Best Practices related to audit findings and recommendations.
- Approval ratings based on surveys above 80% in the first year, moving to 90% in subsequent years.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with our PAO
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule a second interview with our CFO
- Finally, candidates will interview with Chairman of the Audit Committee
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it
listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are
advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are
interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS),
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed
requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more
detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity and inclusion,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.