This position is responsible for GitLab’s overall tax strategy including all components
of compliance, tax planning and accounting for income taxes. The successful candidate will
work with advisors, service providers, and other tax professionals in carrying out his or her responsibilities.
This person will regularly report to the Company’s Board of Directors and/or Committees
of the Board to update the members on the Company’s tax strategy, practices and exposures.
The Director, Tax is a grade 10.
- Primary responsibility for establishing GitLab’s international tax strategy.
- Responsible for completion of national and/local state income tax returns including all related analysis and support.
- Oversight of the tax returns for the Company’s in all operational jurisdictions.
- Responsible for VAT, Sales, Use and Property tax functions.
- Responsible for audits of international, federal and state income tax and state and local filings.
- Responsible for accounting for income taxes (ASC 740) in the US and International subsidiaries.
- Coordination of accounting for income taxes for international subsidiaries with third party vendors.
- Responsible for transfer pricing and management fee arrangements.
- Responsible for building and growing team of professional and paraprofessional staff.
- Liaison with operating management on tax issues and accounting staff on tax accounting issues.
- Ensuring that appropriate internal controls are in place over accounting for income taxes.
- Departmental liaison with IT staff on all technical matters relating to tax applications.
- Ensure the Company implements and maintains controls compliant with Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S.) in Accounting. Master’s Degree in Business Taxation preferred.
- JD and/or CPA preferred.
- 10 years of related experience with at least 5 years in a public accounting firm.
- Experience with Software and/or SAAS in a high growth environment.
- Must have demonstrated a hands-on approach and success in working in a team-based environment
- International tax experience required with preference for candidates based in the Netherlands, UK or Ireland.
- Leadership at GitLab
- Ability to use GitLab
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below.
Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process.
To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with our CFO
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an interview with our Director of Legal
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with our External Tax Advisor
- Finally, candidates will have a 30min call with either our CEO or a GitLab Audit Committee Member
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
The next step in the Director, Tax job family is to move to a higher level role which is not yet defined at GitLab.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.