The Finance Systems Administration job family is responsible for the operational ownership of the software applications in the finance and accounting department.
Finance System Administrator
The Enterprise Applications team provides development and support to the Financial Applications that support GitLabs Core Business processes of Quote To Cash, Procure to Pay and Record to Report. The purpose of Enterprise Applications are to automate, enforce and make efficient these aforementioned processes. We accomplish these goals by partnering deeply with our business partners to understand their needs and bring that to life.
The Finance Systems Administration job family is responsible for the operational ownership of the software applications that support Quote to Cash, Procure to Pay, and Record to Report.
This role reports to the Manager, Financial Systems Administrator.
- Technical Delivery: Ability to administer and configure finance systems applications to support GitLab business processes while adhering to SOX compliant change management.
- Process Improvement: Accomplish improvements to finance processes that you support. Understanding the impacts of changes recommended and how to translate them into technical requirements. Document updated processes in the company handbook.
- Business Acumen: Understanding of core finance business processes of quote to cash, record to report, and procure to pay. Understanding of accounting principles and GitLab finance related policies. Motivation for continuous learning in the area.
- Business Engagement: Engage with your team and stakeholders regarding their business strategy and objectives for automating and optimizing financial processes. Meet regularly with business partners to ensure that the financial applications are functioning as designed and supporting their needs.
- Leadership: Ability to manage your work to deliver on agreed to dates and deadlines and communicate any risks or issues to those.
- Compliance: Supports data, security, and legal governance processes and adherence of guidelines between internal business units and systems in order to ensure efficient and compliance of technical delivery. .
- Business Partnership: Support Senior Financial Systems administrators and Managers regarding business strategy, go to market, functional strategy, spending initiatives, ad hoc financial analysis and monthly, quarterly and annual planning. Maintain robust relationships with select cross-functional partners.
- Project Management: Run small sized projects that improve our ability to make better data focused insights or make the company more efficient.
- Communication: Target audience to FP&A management, functional managers and directors.
- Autonomy: Accomplish goals with moderate supervision from senior members of team.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Ability to use GitLab
- 2-3 years of experience in a systems administrator or business role ideally with a finance focus.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Cognitive Science or relevant degree.
- Demonstrated success working in cross-functional teams to meet business objectives and influence colleagues, fostering robust working relationships
- Ability for strategic thinking, with robust creative problem solving and inquisitive skills
- Able to train financial application users on new tools and changes to existing tools.
- Communication: Ability to present technical data concisely with Proof of Concepts, diagrams and core documentation through written and oral communication.
- Systems: Hands-on experience with business and financial software preferred. Netsuite, Zuora, Coupa and Adaptive Planning are a plus.
- Familiarity with ASC606 and SOX Compliance
- Interest in GitLab and open source software
- You share our values and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
The Finance Systems Administrator (Intermediate) is a grade 6.
The Finance Systems Administrator shares the same responsibilities outlined above.
The Finance Systems Administrator shares the same requirements outlined above.
Senior Finance Systems Administrator
The Senior Financial Systems Administrator reports directly to the Manager, Financial Systems Administrators.
Senior Finance Systems Administrator Job Grade
The Senior Finance Systems Administrator is a grade 7.
Senior Finance Systems Administrator Responsibilities
Extends the Financial Systems Administrators responsibilities:
- Business Partnership: Influences cross-functional team regularly. Begins to build and manage holistic relationships with select partners
- Business Operations: Build, maintain and improve internal analysis and planning processes to more efficiently deliver for our business partners. All processes should be documented in the handbook.
- Technical Delivery: Drive end to end delivery processes with minimal guidance.
- Project Management: Run medium-sized projects that improve our ability to make better data driven insights or make the company more efficient.
- Communication: Target audience Sr. Manager, Director, Sr. Director and functional VP.
Senior Finance Systems Administrator Requirements
Extends the Financial Systems Administrators requirements.
- Business Acumen: Be able to understand the business at a level to understand VP priorities.
- Experience owning processes and delivering for one or multiple business partners.
- 3-5 years of experience in a system administration role ideally with enterprise SaaS software model.
Manager, Finance Systems Administrator
The Manager, Finance Systems Administrator reports to the Director, Enterprise Applications
Manager, Finance Systems Administrator Job Grade
The Manager, Finance Systems Administrator is a grade 8.
Manager, Finance Systems Administrator Responsibilities
- Extends that of the Senior Financial Systems Administrators responsibilities.
- Business Partnership: Influences outcomes in cross-functional settings often.
- Owns relationships with partners while providing advice and guidance.
- Team Leadership: Can manage a team to deliver results by dividing and balancing work between employees ensuring that results meet Enterprise Applications standard.
- Project Management: Run large complex projects that improve our ability to make better data driven insights or makes the company more efficient.
- Communication: Target audience basic influence to Directors, Sr Directors, Functional VPs and CFO.
- Mentorship: As a senior individual contributor, you mentor other team members in technical delivery, process analysis and improvement.
- Autonomy: Delivers and effectively prioritizes projects assigned with clear scope
Manager, Finance Systems Administrator Requirements
- Extends that of the Senior Financial Systems Administrator requirements.
- Communication: Demonstrated an ability to influence business stakeholders.
- Experience as owning a portion of system delivery for business function as a Business Technology partner.
- 5-7 years of experience in a finance systems administrator role ideally with enterprise SaaS software model.
- As with all roles in the Finance Department the Finance System Administrator participates in the team KPIs.
The next step in the Manager, Finance Systems Administrator job family is to move to the Director, Enterprise Applications job family.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with one of our Global Recruiters.
- Next, candidates will be invited to a 45 minute interview with a senior member of the team.
- Second round interviews will involve interviews with 2 Managers of the Enterprise Applications or Business Technology Team.
- Third round interview is with the Senior Director of Enterprise Applications
- At final stage candidates will meet with the Principal Accounting Officer and the VP of Business Technology.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
To find out more about the compensation for this role, please
apply to a role
first. Once selected for a screening call, you'll be able to sign up here to view our
Be sure to use the same email address for both.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity,
Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Friends and Family days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.