The IT Systems Engineer is responsible for performing functions such as evaluation, testing, debugging and implementation of applications programs supporting the company infrastructure business processes and operations. Other functions include analyze, install, modify and support operating systems, databases, and utilities software. The IT Systems Engineer also plans, conducts and directs the analysis of business problems with automated systems solutions. This job family reports to the IT Manager.
- Deploy and manage business critical applications in cloud infrastructure like Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Collaborate with engineering and security teams to coordinate on IT policies
- Build policies and scripts to support company owned devices
- Develop and maintain documentation for supported applications, processes, and training material to internal employees and IT staff
- Work with Security, PeopleOps and Business Operations to develop automated onboarding and offboarding processes
- Develop tooling and processes to facilitate end-user asset management, provisioning and tracking
- Participate in general IT operations and user support
- Build and maintain cross-functional relationships with internal teams to drive initiatives
- Plan and implement systems automation as required for better efficiency
- Oversee and provide operations support including account management, workflow, log analysis, troubleshooting and service optimization
- Assist in ongoing evaluation and management of major vendor relationships and outsourcing arrangements
- Develop system-monitoring and support automation to enhance and scale the quality of support
- Experience administering SaaS applications like Okta, Google Workspace, Slack, Zoom
- Knowledge of configuration management tools like Ansible, Chef, or Terraform
- Hands-on experience supporting Linux and Mac
- Hands-on experience working in GCP and AWS environments
- Developing automation workflows and integrations for repetitive or manual tasks
- Experience working with CI/CD tools and Git
- Ability to use GitLab
The IT Systems Engineer is a grade 6.
The IT Systems Engineers share the same responsibilities outlined above.
The IT Systems Engineer position has all the same requirements as the ones outlined above plus the following:
- 5+ years of experience in IT in a high growth Software as a service (SaaS) environment
- 3+ years of experience in user support in a cloud-first modern IT environment
- Experience with security information and event management (SIEM) tools like Splunk or ElasticSearch
- Knowledge of identity and access management
- Knowledge in one of the following scripting languages - Python or Ruby
- Knowledge of container and microservice technologies
Senior IT Systems Engineer
Senior Job Grade
The IT Systems Engineer is a grade 7.
The Senior IT Systems Engineer has all the same responsibilities as the intermediate position plus the following:
- Provide senior level technical guidance and serve as an escalation point for engineering and Security teams
- Provide senior level direction to the Information Technology team, assist with mentoring and providing technical guidance to more junior staff members
- Work on and manage all phases of systems administration including definition, design, implementation, and testing of new service rollouts
- Define, communicate and manage the execution of infrastructure strategy, standards and roadmaps based on the current state and short and long term needs of the enterprise
- Participate in the Global IT planning process and ensure architectural designs and principles are incorporated in enterprise implementations
- Evaluate existing or emerging technologies to consider factors such as cost, security, compatibility and usability
- Establish strong relationships with key technology stakeholders and facilitate, communicate, collaborate, and persuade others in the definition, adoption and implementation of a coherent architecture
- Provide guidance around "Cloud/SaaS” Infrastructure, Business Applications architectures and address unique security considerations
- Build roadmaps for acquiring, integrating, and implementing high-value technology and processes. Oversee efforts (e.g. proof of concepts) to measure and prove new technology value
- Design and deploy best practices regarding system monitoring, change control, service level agreements, and in the creation of the company’s infrastructure policies and standards
The Senior IT Systems Engineer has all the same responsibilities as the ones outlined above plus the following:
- 7+ years of experience in IT in a high growth SaaS environment
- 5+ years of experience in user support in a cloud-first modern IT environment
- Advanced knowledge of identity and access management
- Advanced knowledge in one of the following scripting languages - Python or Ruby
- Advanced knowledge of container and microservice technologies
- Ability to use GitLab
The next step in the IT Systems Engineer job family is to move to the IT Manager job family.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our Global Recruiters
- Candidates will be invited to complete a 'take home assessment'. This is to be completed in your own time and returned within 3-5 working days
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with the Hiring Manager
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule a Team interview with two members of the IT Operations team in a panel interview
- Candidates will also be invited to schedule a Technical interview with two other team members
- Finally, candidates will interview with our VP, Business Technology
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
To find out more about the compensation for this role, please
apply to a role
first. Once selected for a screening call, you'll be able to sign up here to view our
Be sure to use the same email address for both.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
- Transparency: over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered
- Iteration: empower people to be effective, Merge Request rate, everyone using the product, DRI, have an impact
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: high percentage of women,
Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Compensation: pay at or above the 50th percentile, stock options, office equipment
- Work/Life Harmony: don't compete on hours worked, flexible workday, Friends and Family days
- Remote Done Right: all remote, prolific inventor of best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.