- You are here:
- Payroll Specialist
GitLab is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our Accounting team as a Payroll Specialist. The role will assist in the processing of multi-country and multi-state payrolls, maintaining related records, and developing and documenting various payroll policies and procedures. We expect you to demonstrate the ability to work in a fast paced, both individually and as a part of a group, and thrive within a dynamic and rapidly changing environment.
- Own and process payroll, including tax changes, direct deposits, loan repayments, deduction goals, retroactive adjustments, prorated payments, bonuses, special pays, etc.
- Tax filings - Register new state/local/SUI tax account with local tax agency
- Process pension and benefit changes and funding
- Provide prompt, courteous, and efficient customer service to employees who have questions regarding their pay
- Review and approve expense reports
- Prepare ad hoc reports as needed
- Assist in the development and documentation of payroll procedures designed to streamline the process and scale with the organization
- Support internal and external payroll audit requests
- 3-4 years' experience processing multi-state payroll
- International payroll experience is a plus
- Working knowledge of payroll best practices
- Strong knowledge of federal and state regulations
- Working knowledge of ADP and Excel
- Strong work ethic and team player
- High degree of professionalism
- Ability to deal sensitively with confidential material
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Decision-making, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritizing skills
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with a member of our Recruiting team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with our Payroll and Payment Lead
- In addition, you may be asked to schedule time with our Senior Accounting and External Reporting Manager
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with our Controller
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an interview with our Senior People Operations Analysts
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with our Chief Financial Officer
- Finally, candidates may be asked to interview with our CEO.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS), Greenhouse.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto.