- You are here:
- Finance Roles
- Revenue Accounting
The Revenue Accounting job family is responsible for the timely recognition of revenue, allocation of revenue, billing, and collection.
The Revenue Manager is responsible for all day-to-day revenue accounting operations and month-end financial reporting requirements while ensuring compliance with revenue recognition policies, procedures and internal controls.
The Revenue Manager reports to the Director of Revenue and helps drive process improvement projects as GitLab continues to grow.
The Revenue Manager is a grade 8.
- Review and summarize customer contracts for proper revenue recognition in accordance with company policy and revenue recognition accounting standards
- Partner with Legal department and business teams to interpret complex or unique contract provisions or new revenue initiatives
- Research and document accounting issues and recommend solutions for complex transactions as needed
- Key contributor in the monthly financial close, ensuring accurate and timely recording of transactions and the completeness of financial statements
- Work closely and help manage transactions with the billing and deal desk teams
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations, entries and contribute to the financial reporting process
- Develop and document processes and controls, and identify opportunities for streamlining processes and increasing automation to improve the speed and efficiency of the monthly revenue close
- Support external and internal audit requirements
- Work as liaison with project teams to develop or improve finance solutions, including the design, implementation and review of systems
- Assist with and manage various ad hoc projects as needed
- 2+ years experience in revenue accounting with a Big 4 accounting firm or SaaS company
- Experience in applying revenue accounting guidance (ASC 606). Strong knowledge of US GAAP, Sarbanes-Oxley, risk and controls standards and business process best practices skills
- Experience managing critical projects such as system implementations, ERP system enhancements, and system upgrades
- Strong understanding of process and operations in a fast-paced business environment
- Ability to work dynamically with a variety of internal business partners (financial and non-financial personnel both within the US and abroad)
- Be a self-starter, have a positive attitude, maintain a solution-oriented work ethic
- Zuora, RevPro, Netsuite system knowledge
- Ability to use GitLab
Director of Revenue
The Director of Revenue is responsible for ensuring the integrity of world-wide revenue by providing leadership, technical expertise, business sense, and a strong desire to improve processes and controls.
They have an in-depth knowledge of accounting/GAAP including expertise in ASC Topic 606, and manage the billing and commission groups.
Strong organization and communication skills are necessary as well as the ability to be detail-oriented and hands-on.
The Director of Revenue reports to the Director of Revenue.
The Revenue Director is a grade 10.
- Guide, mentor and manage the world-wide revenue, billing and commission teams
- Matrix management capabilities to communicate with and educate finance and non-finance personnel on revenue accounting guidance, Gitlab specific policies and procedures as well as inputs on structuring of customer arrangements
- Review customer arrangements for proper revenue recognition in accordance with company policy and revenue recognition accounting standards
- Ensure the integrity of the world-wide license, support, service and training revenue and assist in new product offerings that may be developed over time
- Review license and service revenue related balance sheet account reconciliations
- Be a global partner with subject matter expertise in revenue and work diligently on finding solutions to critical issues
- Develop and maintain strong collaborative working relationships across Customer Service, Legal, Sales, FP&A, Accounting and Tax teams
- Research and review technical revenue accounting memos that addresses the issue, and provide analysis and conclusions related to various customer contracts or new technical revenue pronouncements
- Ensure the integrity of key processes by understanding systems, flow of transactions, internal controls, and recommending efficiency and effectiveness improvements
- Stay current on new revenue accounting rules and help develop appropriate policies and processes
- Provide revenue training to other groups within GitLab
- Liaison with External auditors, present significant item updates, supporting documentation for the quarterly reviews and year-end audits
- Lead the ongoing revenue automation process, and work with IT to prioritize further potential system enhancements and development projects related to revenue
- CPA is required, with at least 12 years of professional experience including significant management, and technology industry experience
- A combination of public company experience in a revenue leadership role and experience with public accounting firms
- Polished communication skills, including an ability to listen to the needs of the business units, research and comprehend complex matters, articulate issues in a clear and simplified manner, and present findings and recommendations in both oral and written presentations
- Strong ability to work well within a team structure and an ability to influence, train, mentor and leverage the skills of others to achieve objectives
- Experience with ERP systems and processes and with commission and billing systems
- Ability to use GitLab
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to meet with two other members of the billing team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute interview with our Controller
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule a 45 minute interview with our CFO
- Finally, candidates may be asked to interview with the CEO
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email or phone call
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it
listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are
advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are
interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS),
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed
requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more
detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity and inclusion,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.