The Director(s) of Legal are responsible for advising clients across GitLab on legal matters related to their functional area of expertise.
The Director, Legal is a grade 10.
- Partner with leadership, team members and other stakeholders across GitLab to address legal related matters
- Advise on, draft, maintain and review templates and policies
- Monitor and analyze changes in the law and legal risks; propose creative and effective solutions to address those risks
- Anticipate legal issues or risks and build the necessary processes and systems to address them
- Manage outside counsel relationships, as needed
- 8+ years combined law firm and in-house legal department experience, preferably in a multinational company
- Juris Doctorate/United States law degree and bar admission in at least one US state
- Proven success working effectively across business units and internal functions to efficiently resolve complex business issues
- Practical yet creative problem-solving approach that emphasizes addressing business needs while protecting GitLab’s interests
- Proactive, dynamic, and result driven self starter with strong attention to detail
- Familiarity working across the globe, to support multiple time zones and cultures
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, the ability to interface effectively with all business functions throughout the organization with a highly responsive and service-oriented attitude
- Sound and practical business judgment
- Previous experience in a remote work environment would be an added advantage
- Ability to use GitLab
The Director of Legal, Corporate collaborates on matters with clients across GitLab related to corporate governance and securities law compliance and related issues.
The Director of Legal, Commercial collaborates with clients across GitLab on a broad range of commercial law matters affecting our global team member base.
Privacy and Product
The Director of Legal, Privacy and Product collaborates with clients across GitLab on a broad range of privacy and product matters.
The Director of Legal, Employment collaborates with clients across GitLab on a broad range of employment law matters affecting our global team member base.
- Timely and accurate contributions to filings and corporate governance matters
- Successful completion of M&A projects
- Accurate and complete corporate records
- Hire and manage a high functioning, empowered team of commercial legal attorneys to partner with our internal clients and customers, as well as collaborate with our Contracts Management team
- Maintain and update current agreement forms and create new agreements as areas of the business requires
- Successful creation and administration of ongoing training related to commercial contract terms for internal clients
Privacy and Product
- Successful oversight of privacy compliance initiatives
- Accurate export control administration
- Management of open source licensing directives
- Timely and accurate contributions to global employment related matters
- Accurate and complete employment related templates, forms and policies
- Successful creation and administration of ongoing employment law related training for internal clients
The next step in the Director, Legal job family is not yet defined at GitLab.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-minute screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with our Chief Legal Officer
- Then selected candidates will be invited to schedule with additional team members of the legal department
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule interviews with directors and/or executives in relevant functional areas
- Finally, candidates may be required to meet with the CEO.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.