The Director of Global Risk and Compliance is responsible for development, management, and monitoring GitLab’s global compliance and privacy related obligations and activities. At the direction of the VP of Legal, the Director of Global Risk and Compliance will provide guidance on compliance and privacy matters. This is a remote role, but extensive Global legal compliance experience is a must-have for this role.
The Director, Global Risk and Compliance is a grade 10.
- Facilitating the organization's compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and best practices by assisting in the development, refinement, and rollout of policies and procedures. Recommend process/policy changes to ensure compliance with all regulations and assist in the documentation or training of those changes.
- Developing and implementing, with the assistance of the Global Compliance Manager, internal employee training, in cooperation with the People Operations team.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the training program and developing innovative approaches to training to encourage employee engagement.
- Developing and implementing a government contracting and DSS compliance program.
- Monitoring legislative and regulatory developments, and providing guidance and training to operational business units relating, but not limited to SEC, FCC, DOJ, DOC, and outside US regulatory bodies.
- Assisting business partners in building and maintaining compliance and privacy-related data inventories, data flows, network diagrams information, etc.
- Overseeing and supporting the day-to-day operations of various global ethics and compliance programs and initiatives, including Code of Conduct, global training, anti-corruption due diligence program, export, gift, hospitality & travel, and employee communication and engagement.
- Assisting with periodic compliance and privacy-related risk assessments and controls evaluations with business partners, to verify whether business units comply with applicable regulations.
- Collaborating with department managers on solutions to overcome compliance concerns.
- Assisting and answering privacy-related questions from internal business partners; reviewing documents for compliance with applicable compliance and privacy-related laws and regulations; reviewing the Company’s posted compliance and privacy-related policies and in collaboration with key stakeholders update those postings as appropriate.
- Remaining current on changes to applicable compliance and privacy related laws and regulations and proactively develop solutions to ensure company compliance.
- Participating in new product development and provide input and guidance regarding compliance concerns relevant to proposed and current products and services.
- Maintaining a thorough understanding of state, federal, and global laws and regulations related to GitLab’s business; monitoring and analyzing developing trends and changes in regulatory laws, rules, and regulations as they relate to GitLab's business activities.
- Minimum 10-15 years of substantial experience in the areas of legal compliance and data privacy in the US, EU, LATAM, and APAC.
- BA/BS and JD required. License to practice law in any jurisdiction.
- Thorough knowledge of the laws and regulations governing public U.S. companies, including but not limited to SOX compliance and other SEC requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience working with global anti-corruption and anti-slavery laws, privacy regulations (including GDPR), import and export laws, such is required.
- Ability to do in-depth research and to interpret written guidelines and documents.
- Proactive, dynamic and result driven individual with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to understand and communicate complex technical issues.
- Experience working with global teams preferred.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, the ability to interface effectively with all business functions throughout the organization.
- Enthusiasm and "self-starter" qualities enabling him or her to manage responsibilities with an appropriate sense of urgency; the ability to function effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced & dynamic environment.
- Experience working at a public company required.
- Experience with DSS and government contracting compliance required.
- Previous experience in a global startup and remote-first environment would be ideal.
- Experience with open source software a plus.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Ability to use GitLab
The next step in the Director of Global Risk and Compliance job family is to move to a VP of Legal role.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page. The review process for this role can take a little longer than usual, but if in doubt feel free to check in with the Recruiting team at any point.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with a member of our Recruiting team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with our VP of Legal
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a second interview with our CFO
- Candidates might at this point be invited to schedule with an additional C-Level team member or VP Management member
- Finally, candidates may interview with our CEO
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.