- You are here:
- Legal Roles
- Global Compliance Manager
The Global Compliance Manager, a newly created position, is responsible for development, management, and monitoring the GitLab’s global compliance and privacy related obligations and activities. At the direction of the Senior Director of Legal Affairs, The Global Compliance Manager will provide guidance on compliance and privacy matters. This is a remote role, but extensive US, UK, and EU legal compliance experience is a must-have for this role.
- Facilitate the organization's compliance with applicable laws, regulations and best practices by assisting in the development, refinement and rollout of policies, and procedures. Recommend process/policy changes to ensure compliance with all regulations and assist in the documentation or training of those changes.
- Develop and implement internal employee training in cooperation with the People Operations team. Evaluating the effectiveness of the training program; and developing innovative approaches to training to encourage employee engagement.
- Assist business partners in building and maintaining compliance and privacy-related data inventories, data flows/network diagrams information, etc.
- Oversee and support the day-to-day operations of various global ethics and compliance programs and initiatives, including Code of Conduct, global training, anti-corruption due diligence program, export, gift, hospitality & travel and employee communication and engagement.
- Assist with periodic compliance and privacy-related risk assessments and controls evaluations with business partners, to verify whether business units comply with applicable regulations.
- Collaborate with department managers on solutions to overcome compliance concerns.
- Assist and answer privacy related questions from internal business partners, as well as external users; review documents for compliance with applicable compliance and privacy-related laws and regulations; review the Company’s posted compliance and privacy-related policies and in collaboration with key stakeholders update those postings as appropriate.
- Participate in new product development and provide input and guidance regarding compliance concerns relevant to proposed and current products and services
- Monitor and maintain a thorough understanding of state, federal and global laws and regulations related to GitLab’s business, monitor and analyze developing trends and changes in regulatory laws, rules, and regulations as they relate to GitLab business activities.
- Conduct ongoing reviews of marketing, advertisements, materials, and disclosures.
Requirements for candidate
- Minimum 5-7 years of substantial experience in the areas of legal compliance and data privacy in the US, UK, and EU.
- BA/BS required. Master's, JD, paralegal certificate, or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience working with global anti-corruption and anti-slavery laws, privacy regulations (including GDPR), import and export laws, such is required.
- Ability to do in-depth research and to interpret written guidelines and documents.
- Proactive, dynamic and result driven individual with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to understand and communicate complex technical issues.
- Experience working with global teams preferred.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, the ability to interface effectively with all business functions throughout the organization.
- Enthusiasm and "self-starter" qualities enabling him or her to manage responsibilities with an appropriate sense of urgency; the ability to function effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced & dynamic environment.
- Previous experience in a Global Start-up and remote first environment would be ideal.
- Experience with open source software a plus.
- Successful completion of a background check.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page. The review process for this role can take a little longer than usual, but if in doubt feel free to check in with the Recruiting team at any point.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with a member of our Recruiting team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with our Senior Director of Legal Affairs
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a second interview with our CFO
- Candidates might at this point be invited to schedule with an additional C-Level team member or VP Management member
- Finally, candidates may interview with our CEO
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS), Lever.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto.