The Legal Counsel job family is responsible for advising clients across GitLab on legal matters related to their functional area of expertise.
The Legal Counsel (Intermediate) reports to the Director, Legal.
The Legal Counsel is a grade 6
- Partner with team members and stakeholders across GitLab to provide pragmatic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing the goals of the business
- Advise on, draft, maintain and review templates and policies
- Monitor and analyze changes in the law and legal risks; propose creative and effective solutions to address those risks
- Review, draft and negotiate agreements
- Build the necessary processes, systems, and documentation to improve legal department processes and resources
- 3 - 5 years' legal experience, preferably in a multinational company
- JD/LLB or local law degree equivalent and admission to local governing body
- Experience working effectively across business units and internal functions to efficiently resolve business issues
- Practical yet creative problem-solving approach that emphasizes addressing business needs while protecting GitLab’s interests
- Proactive, dynamic, and result driven self starter with strong attention to detail
- Familiarity working across the globe, to support multiple time zones and cultures
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, the ability to interface effectively with all business functions throughout the organization with a highly responsive and service-oriented attitude
- Sound and practical business judgment
- Previous experience in a remote work environment would be an added advantage
- Ability to use GitLab
Product and Privacy
The Legal Counsel, Product and Privacy collaborates with clients across GitLab on a broad range of matters including IP, product, marketing and privacy. In addition to the general Responsibilities and and Requirements above, this role specifically requires:
- Experience providing counseling to product and engineering teams on products and features throughout the development lifecycle, and identifying legal issues
- Knowledge and understanding of open source licensing
- Experience working on advertising, trademark, marketing issues (email campaigns, sweepstakes, promotional activities), including familiarity with FTC regulations, GDPR and other local law requirements
- Experience identifying privacy issues, conducting privacy impact assessments, and advising on privacy compliance requirements(e.g., GDPR, CCPA)
- A strong mix of legal, technical, and business acumen that will allow you to understand and discuss complex technical issues and data flows.
- Basic knowledge of DMCA and Law Enforcement requirements
- Experience working in a SaaS and self-hosted software company
Employment - EMEA
The Legal Counsel, Employment - EMEA collaborates with clients across GitLab on a broad range of matters across the entire arc of the employment relationship, from recruiting to onboarding, compensation, performance management, leave management, separation, and, where necessary, litigation. In addition to the general Responsibilities and Requirements above, this role specifically requires:
- Experience providing counseling to people business partners and team member relations teammates regarding team member relations concerns.
- Knowledge and understanding of general employment compliance requirements in the EMEA region with an ability to flag and seek out from local counsel specific local requirements as applicable.
- Experience drafting employment policies, especially those that cross multiple jurisdictions in the EMEA region.
- Familiarity with GDPR and other local privacy law requirements as it relates to employee privacy.
- A strong mix of legal, technical, and business acumen that will allow you to understand and discuss complex employment issues.
- Experience managing employment litigation, appeals tribunals, agency investigations, and/or negotiating separation agreements.
- Ability to provide support, including issue spotting and managing outside counsel, in regions outside of EMEA, on an as-needed basis.
The Legal Counsel, Commercial reports directly to the Director of Legal, Commercial and collaborates with external and internal clients across GitLab on a broad range of matters related to commercial contracting including the negotiation and review of complex contracts, review of regional specific legal requirements to drive templates and process, and act as a trusted advisor to internal clients. In addition to the general Responsibilities and Requirements above, this role specifically requires the ability to:
- Draft and negotiate a wide range of contracts including partnership, services, consulting, marketing, licensing, data privacy, and other commercial and technology related agreements
- Engage on top priority and complex Agreements tied to large value and material transactions
- Review regional specific legal requirements, including with outside counsel, for terms and policy creation and enforcement
- Create and present training materials for both Contract Managers and Sales Team Members
- Understand GitLab and GitLab products in order to identify risks, develop solutions, mitigation and negotiation strategies
- Add information and feedback to playbooks and other supporting documentation to support the development of other legal team members
- Become a trusted advisor to the Sales Team Members and Leadership across multiple functions
- Work closely with members of the Legal team to develop and improve applicable standardized forms, processes, and procedures
- Perform risk analysis review for all contractual documents and recommend mitigating options
Legal Counsel (Privacy and Product)
- Legal oversight of product development and understanding of the GitLab products and features
- Development of standard processes, trainings and practices for marketing issues
- Effective Open Source License management and counseling
Legal Counsel (Employment - EMEA)
- Legal oversight of employment compliance and understanding of the applicable employment solutions in place across jurisdictions.
- Development of standard policies, processes, trainings and practices for employment issues.
- Strategic business partner for People Success group.
Legal Counsel (Commercial)
- Engage in creation of applicable internal SLAs and drive efficiency to meet such standards
- Development of terms and conditions which align with industry and regional standards to assist in scaling the business and improving sale cycle metrics
- Assist leadership in the development, implementation and successful achievement of Quarterly OKRs
The next step in the Legal Counsel job family is not yet defined at GitLab.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-minute screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with our Director of Legal, Privacy and Product
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule with additional team members of the legal department
*Next, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with our Chief Legal Officer
- Finally, candidates may be invited to schedule interviews with Directors or team members in relevant functional areas
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
To find out more about the compensation for this role, please
apply to a role
first. Once selected for a screening call, you'll be able to sign up here to view our
Be sure to use the same email address for both.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
- Transparency: over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered
- Iteration: empower people to be effective, Merge Request rate, everyone using the product, DRI, have an impact
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: high percentage of women,
Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Compensation: pay at or above the 50th percentile, stock options, office equipment
- Work/Life Harmony: don't compete on hours worked, flexible workday, Friends and Family days
- Remote Done Right: all remote, prolific inventor of best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.