- You are here:
- Marketing Roles
- Brand Designer
At GitLab, Brand Designers are responsible for driving brand strategy across the company, collaborating closely with Marketing, Sales, and Product teams - helping to elevate our visual brand as we interact with the world, both through product and marketing. This role is essential in maintaining our brand guidelines across multiple platforms and critiquing deliverables with an eye for detail, craft, and consistency.
- Define and create a visual language as an extension of the brand (illustrations, icons, colors, typography, animations, etc.)
- Be an advocate for consistent and cohesive design throughout the company.
- Contribute to the Pajamas Design System; specifically the Brand and Marketing sections.
- Educate others on design thinking, brand experience, and design-driven storytelling.
- Collaborate with Content Marketing, and others, to establish a clear and concise brand voice, tone, and personality.
- Collaborate with UX Design to create and maintain a cohesive and consistent brand experience between Marketing and Product.
- Continually iterate on concepts in an effort to make the brand relevant and relatable to our audience(s).
- Strong ability to prioritize work and resources across various projects.
- Effectively communicate conceptual ideas and design rationale.
- Engage in constructive design critiques.
- Able to work independently, prioritize accordingly, and iterate quickly.
- Strong communication skills without a fear of over communication.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
Associate Brand Designer
- Execute design and conceptual tasks as assigned with significant attention to detail.
- Learn the GitLab brand, visual language, and the Pajamas Design System.
- Contribute to, and collaborate with fellow designers, on design concepts and the GitLab brand experience.
- 1–3 years experience in a design-related role.
- Ability to continuously meet deadlines and execute on projects.
- Develop visual concepts for digital campaigns, webpages, print, and events.
- Enable others, non-designers, to create on-brand assets.
- Actively contribute to the Pajamas Design System.
- 3–5 years experience in a design-related role.
- Proven ability to independently conceptualize and think critically about design.
Senior Brand Designer
Everything in the Brand Designer role, plus:
- Brand vision — elevate and evolve the GitLab brand experience across multiple platforms as the company scales.
- Actively contribute to the Pajamas Design System and lead efforts to build out the Brand and Marketing sections.
- Analyze and interpret the impact of creative to measure, learn, and optimize.
- Manage creative work across all mediums (print, web, digital) ensuring a consistent and cohesive brand experience.
- Establish design direction (brand strategy) for various projects and campaigns in a manner that allows other designers to pick up where you left off.
- Provide clear creative direction, 1-on-1 mentorship, and timely feedback to Production Designers.
- 5+ years experience in a design-related role.
- Proven ability to establish strong creative concepts and strategy.
- Strong critical thinking and storytelling skills.
- Ability to work independently, drive multiple projects, prioritize accordingly, and iterate quickly.
- Drive cross-discipline collaboration as it relates to brand experience (Sales, Content, UX, etc.).
Manager, Brand Design
Everything in the Senior Brand Designer role, plus:
- Lead the Brand Design team fostering innovation, collaboration, and continual evolution of GitLab's brand experience.
- Oversee the definition, prioritization, and improvement of the Brand and Marketing sections of the Pajamas Design System.
- Research and develop a greater understanding of GitLab's audience(s); iterating to keep our brand experience relevant and relatable.
- 5+ years experience in branding and marketing design.
- Degree in Graphic Design, Marketing, or equivalent work experience.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and leadership capabilities.
- Proven experience leading designers and successfully maintaining and evolving brand experience in all aspects.
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it
listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are
advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are
interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS),
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed
requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more
detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity and inclusion,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto.