- You are here:
- Marketing Roles
- Code contributor program manager
As the Code Contributor Program Manager, you will be responsible for enabling members from the wider GitLab community to contribute code, documentation, and translations to GitLab. The goal is to increase the number of unique people that contribute to GitLab every month. Committers are all people who contribute code and documentation to GitLab, not just the people that can merge their contributions (have the commit bit).
- Grow the number of community contributions to GitLab per month.
- Ensure there are metrics around contributors, merges, backlog, and geographic and organizational diversity.
- Run a complete funnel around contributors, similar to a marketing and sales funnel, including stage criteria, conversion rates, and time per stage per cohort.
- Ensure all the steps in the contribution lifecycle are defined and have actions, for example when the first contribution gets merged we recognize their contribution and offer to pair them with an experienced mentor.
- Make it easy to contribute, for example make it easier to find issues marked 'accepting merge requests'
- Manage community contributions including triaging, monitoring, and escalating merge requests.
- Organize contributor-focused events such as hackathons, contributor summit, and industry conferences.
- Recognize people in the community, for example with badges, swag, spotlights, and awards.
- Monitor and participate in community channels such as Gitter, GitLab Forum, reddit, and CrowdIn.
- You have 5-7 years of experience running developer relations or community advocacy programs, preferably open source in nature.
- Analytical and data driven in your approach to building and nurturing communities.
- You have experience facilitating sensitive and complex community situations with humility, empathy, judgment, tact, and humor.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Familiarity with developer tools, Git, Continuous Integration, Containers, and Kubernetes.
- Experience in communicating with writers on a range of technical topics is a plus.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Ability to use GitLab
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it
listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are
advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are
interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS),
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed
requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more
detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity and inclusion,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.