- You are here:
- Marketing Roles
- Director, Corporate Marketing
As the Director, Corporate Marketing, you will lead the Corporate Marketing team responsible for building the GitLab brand and sharing the GitLab story globally. You understand that markets are fundamentally collections of people, and the more empathy you have for the people within the markets you serve, the more effective you will be. This role will promote the company and its customers through creative story-telling using corporate events, social media, video, design, PR, and written content marketing. The qualified candidate will be a driven and engaged senior leader with a successful track record of leading cross-functionally and inspiring a world class team. Reporting to the CMO, the Director, Corporate Marketing is a key member of the marketing leadership team at GitLab.
- Define the Corporate Marketing vision and strategy that integrates brand, design, content, corporate events, and PR to deliver powerful, market-moving messages to all of GitLab’s audiences, at scale.
- Manage and lead a global marketing team to evolve GitLab’s perception in the market from a version control tool to a single integrated application for the complete DevOps lifecycle.
- Work closely with other members of the marketing leadership team to define the strategic objectives for all of marketing and build strong working relationships to deliver as a team.
- Lead a world-class content marketing program that drives awareness of GitLab, the related business challenges, and how GitLab can help.
- Lead a world class team of designers to reinforce our brand and message, visually.
- Lead our corporate events strategy to amplify our brand at national and international trade shows, establish an EBC, and connect with media and analysts contacts.
- Serve as a company spokesperson as needed for certain media, analyst and public speaking engagements.
- Oversee GitLab Summit, and transform it from an employee gathering to a summit that brings together the extended GitLab community of customers, partners, contributors, and users.
- Arm our field marketing team with marketing communication materials to ensure that when we deploy marketing tactics regionally, they reinforce our strategy globally.
- Define GitLab’s brand personality, visual identity, and written style.
- Own the GitLab case study program to showcase and celebrate the incredible accomplishments of our customers.
- Own our outbound social media engagement strategy.
- Manage all corporate communications including executive communications, company messaging development, and PR.
- Create, architect and promote corporate content for all stages of the buyer journey.
- Support internal teams with creative marketing support such as writing, creative design, event planning, and video.
- Manage, build, and lead a strong team by coaching and developing existing members and closing talent gaps where needed through hiring new team members.
- 10+ years of experience in corporate marketing in the software industry, preferably within an area of application development.
- Technical background or good understanding of developer products; familiarity with Git, Continuous Integration, Containers, and Kubernetes a plus.
- Experience with Software-as-a-Service offerings and open core software a plus.
- Proven track record developing and executing successful B2B corporate communications, content and brand campaigns.
- Skilled and proven experience bringing creative ideas to life across a variety of communication tactics.
- Experience leading the development of exciting and effective awareness and brand marketing campaigns that influence IT leadership and CxO buyers.
- Track record of evolving a brand’s position to a new market category that aligns it with current market and customer priorities.
- History successfully utilizing events as a key platform for growth in awareness and brand preference.
- Proven track record in building, getting buy-in and executing marketing plans, and staying focused on “getting it done” in a fast-moving, technical environment.
- Able to coordinate across many teams and perform in a fast-moving startup environment.
- Proven ability to be self-directed and work with minimal supervision.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills with the ability to explain and translate complex technology concepts into simple and intuitive communications.
- Uses data to measure results and inform decision making and strategy development.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our Global Recruiters.
- A 45 minute interview with our Director of Product Marketing
- A 45 minute interview with our Senior Director of Marketing and Sales Development
- A 45 minute interview with our Vice President of Product
- A 45 minute interview with our Chief Revenue Officer
- A 45 minute interview with our CEO (interim CMO)
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS), Lever.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto.