Frontend Engineers on the Marketing team work on our marketing site: about.GitLab.com. They work closely with product marketing, content marketing, and other members of the Marketing team. They are a part of the Digital Experience team, and report to the Senior Manager, Digital Experience.
- Work with the Inbound Marketing team and other stakeholders (Content, DemandGen, Brand, etc.) to iterate on new features and improvements to GitLab's digital marketing platform.
- Consistently ship small features and improvements to our Slippers design system
- Help improve the overall experience of our Marketing website through improving the quality of the Frontend features.
- Help identify areas of improvements in the code base that help contribute to make it better.
- Help plan sprints and complete prioritized issues from the issue tracker.
- Experience with responsive design and best practices.
- Knowledge of current web accessibility standards and requirements.
- Knowledge of information architecture, interaction design, and user-centered design.
- Strong knowledge in core web and browser concepts (eg. how the browser parses and constructs a web page).
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Experience using design software to collaborate with designers and create pixel perfect web pages (eg. Figma, Sketch).
- Experience with Git in a professional/workplace environment, ideally using the GitLab product as a user or contributor.
- The ability to work in an agile, iterative development process and embrace feedback from many perspectives.
- Proficiency in the English language, with the capacity to communicate complex technical problems, provide clear status updates, and achieve consensus with peers.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with great organizational skills and a positive, solution-oriented mindset.
- An interest in our values, and working in accordance with those values.
- Prefer experience with JAMstack, Ruby, and Middleman (and/or other static site generators).
- Prefer SaaS Product company experience.
- Prefer experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team.
- Prefer understanding of marketing concepts such as conversion, analytics, A/B testing, lead generation, buyer journeys, and search engine optimization.
The Frontend Engineer (Intermediate) reports the the Senior Manager, Digital Experience.
The Frontend Engineer (Intermediate) is a grade 6.
- Partner with team members on the simplest solutions to problems.
- Develop features and enhancements to GitLab's marketing site in a secure, well-tested, and performant way.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- 3-5 years experience specializing in frontend development for websites and web applications.
Senior Frontend Engineer
The Senior Frontend Engineer (Intermediate) reports the the Senior Manager, Digital Experience.
Senior Frontend Engineer Job Grade
The Senior Frontend Engineer is a grade 7.
Senior Frontend Engineer Responsibilities
- Work with cross functional partners, acting as a team leader.
- Advocate for improvements to Marketing website quality, security, and performance that have particular impact across your team.
- Help to define and improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Mentor team members in your section to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and remove blockers.
- Consistently ship moderately sized features and improvements with minimal guidance from other team members.
Senior Frontend Engineer Requirements
- 6+ years experience specializing in frontend development for websites and web applications.
- Critical decision making, and knowing what will have the biggest business impact when prioritizing.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems, particularly at large scale, and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
The next step in the Frontend Engineer job family is not yet defined at GitLab.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, you can find their job title on our team page.
- Select candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our Global Recruiters.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute interview with our Senior Manager, Digital Experience.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute technical interview with our Fullstack Engineer and a Frontend Engineer on the Marketing team.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute interview with the Senior Director, Growth Marketing.
- Finally, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute follow up interview with the Senior Manager, Digital Experience.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
To find out more about the compensation for this role, please
apply to a role
first. Once selected for a screening call, you'll be able to sign up here to view our
Be sure to use the same email address for both.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity,
Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Friends and Family days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.