Frontend Engineers on the Marketing team work on our marketing website: about.GitLab.com. They work closely with product marketing, content marketing, and other members of the Marketing team. They are a part of the Growth Marketing team, and report to the Senior Manager, Digital Experience.
- Work with the Growth Marketing team and other stakeholders (Content Strategy, Brand, etc.) to iterate on new features and improvements to GitLab's marketing site.
- Consistently ship small features and improvements and work with the team on larger projects.
- Help improve the overall experience of our Marketing website through improving the quality of the Frontend features both in your group and features that benefit other groups.
- Help identify areas of improvements in the code base, both specific to this position's group and outside that group (eg. component library) and help contribute to make it better.
- Help plan sprints and complete prioritized issues from the issue tracker.
- Experience with responsive design and best practices.
- The ability to iterate quickly and embrace feedback from many perspectives.
- Knowledge of information architecture, interaction design, and user-centered design.
- Experience using Git in a professional/workplace environment.
- Strong knowledge in core web and browser concepts (eg. how the browser parses and constructs a web page).
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Comfort working in an agile, iterative development process.
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset.
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates.
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with great organizational skills.
- An interest in our values, and working in accordance with those values.
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization.
- Ability to use GitLab.
- Prefer experience with JAMstack, Ruby, and Middleman (and/or other static site generators).
- Prefer experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor.
- Prefer SaaS Product company experience.
- Prefer experience working with a remote team.
- Prefer enterprise software Marketing experience.
- Prefer experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team.
The Frontend Engineer - Marketing (Intermediate) reports the the Senior Manager, Digital Experience.
The Frontend Engineer - Marketing (Intermediate) is a grade 6.
- Partner with team members on the simplest solutions to problems.
- Develop features and enhancements to GitLab's marketing site in a secure, well-tested, and performant way.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- 3-5 years experience specializing in frontend development for websites and web applications.
Senior Frontend Engineer - Marketing
The Senior Frontend Engineer - Marketing (Intermediate) reports the the Senior Manager, Digital Experience.
Senior Frontend Engineer - Marketing Job Grade
The Senior Frontend Engineer - Marketing is a grade 7.
Senior Frontend Engineer - Marketing Responsibilities
- Work with cross functional partners, acting as a team leader.
- Advocate for improvements to Marketing website quality, security, and performance that have particular impact across your team.
- Help to define and improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Mentor team members in your section to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and remove blockers.
- Consistently ship moderately sized features and improvements with minimal guidance from other team members.
Senior Frontend Engineer - Marketing Requirements
- 6+ years experience specializing in frontend development for websites and web applications.
- Critical decision making, and knowing what will have the biggest business impact when prioritizing.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems, particularly at large scale, and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
The next step in the Frontend Engineer - Marketing job family is not yet defined at GitLab.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, you can find their job title on our team page.
- Select candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our Global Recruiters.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute interview with our Senior Manager, Digital Experience.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute technical interview with our Marketing Full Stack Developer and a Frontend Engineer on the Marketing team.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute interview with the Senior Director, Growth Marketing.
- Finally, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute follow up interview with the Senior Manager, Digital Experience.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.