As the Vice President of Product Marketing, you will be responsible for managing and building the product marketing, technical marketing, competitive intelligence & market research and customer insights teams.
The Vice President, Product Marketing is a grade 12.
- Drive product marketing direction for GitLab, collaborating with other marketing functions such as revenue marketing, corporate marketing, and inbound marketing.
- Understand market trends, customer requirements, usage and buying behaivor to better identify market opportunities and customer demand for GitLab's product offerings.
- Lead GitLab's analyst relations strategy and interactions with key industry analyst firms.
- Educate the market about GitLab's core technical value offerings through multiple collateral such as demos, white-papers, workshops, presentations and technical blogs, driving views of that content.
- Educate sales, product management, and marketing team about competitive landscape and competitor offerings.
- Develop and activate GitLab's core use case messaging and positioning
- Provide input and strategy into product roadmap, strategy, and pricing based on market and customer research finding, industry analyst interactions and competitive findings.
- Nurture and leverage relationships with key DevOps thought leaders, influencers and key strategic customers to help increase market awareness about GitLab.
- Define team's strategy, budget, hiring and OKR's to build and measure team results.
- Provide input about product priorities and goals to Product Management.
- Use customer and competitive research to influence product strategy and drive effective messaging.
- Develop and own product positioning, messaging and value propositions that differentiate GitLab solutions in the marketplace.
- Grow a customer reference program to engage our customers and to showcase customer success and value realization achieved using GitLab.
- Craft engaging audience-specific content, including case studies, solution briefs, web content, presentations, data sheets, whitepapers and sales playbooks that can be utilized globally.
- Conduct ROI/TCO analysis and develop content to help customers make the business case for GitLab.
- Gather competitive intelligence on our key competitors and develop differentiation materials for the field and for external consumption.
- Support the team in setting clear goals and key results. Ensure that those are communicated and visible across the company and progress is shared regularly.
- 10-15 years of experience in product marketing and related marketing functions in the software industry, preferably wihtin an area of application development.
- 8+ years of progressive management experience, with an emphasis on leadership, and engaging global and local stakeholders.
- Experience building trusted relationships with executive sponsors and end users.
- Technical background or clear understanding of developer products; familiarity with Git, Continuous Integration, Containers, Kubernetes and Project Management software a plus.
- Experience with enterprise Software-as-a-Service offerings a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, marketing, business, or related area; MBA is a plus.
- Proven track record in building, getting buy-in and executing marketing plans, and staying focused on “getting it done” in a fast-moving, technical environment.
- Able to coordinate across many teams and perform in fast-moving startup environment.
- Proven experience being self-directed and working with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated experience building credibility with and delivering results for product teams, sales teams and customers.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills to explain and translate complex technology concepts into simple and intuitive communications.
- Uses data to measure results and inform decision making and strategy development.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Leadership at GitLab.
- Ability to use GitLab.
The next step in the Vice President, Product Marketing job family is not yet defined at GitLab.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our Global Recruiters.
- A 45 minute interview with our Chief Marketing Officer
- A 45 minute interview with our VP of Revenue Marketing
- A 45 minute interview with our VP of Demand Generation
- A 45 minute interview with our VP of Corporate Marketing
- A 45 minute interview with our Sr. Director of Inbound Marketing
- A 45 minute interview with our Chief Executive Officer or Chief Revenue Officer
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.