- You are here:
- People Ops Roles
- Chief People Officer
The GitLab team has grown quickly, and plans to continue grow while maintaining our culture and remote working, embracing development, and building scalable people-oriented policies. The Chief People Officer is a strategic leader and consultant that oversees People Operations, Recruiting, and Learning & Development functions. In this role you'll be empowered to grow teams, making data driven decisions, and delivering transparent and people first programs.
- Provide strategy and oversight of the administration of compensation, benefits, HRIS system
- Work to refine and improve our global compensation frameworks including the Global Compensation Calculator
- Advise the executive team on relevant compliance and employment law and introduce best practices to protect the organization
- Develop and implement effective training programs for GitLab employees and community
- Harness the existing culture and values when building out internal people related policies while devising new ways to reinforce and improve upon the culture
- Manage talent initiatives from recruiting and onboarding to employee retention and offboarding
- Identify and measure organizational KPIs and OKRs for all of People Operations
- Implement global program for evaluating performance and providing feedback
- Advise company on all legal issues related to employment
- Evaluate and manage all third party People Ops vendors and partners
- Manage and grow a people operations team
- Report directly to the CEO
People Operations Experience
- 5+ years experience in a People Operations executive positions or a HR executive position with at least 3 levels reporting to you (directors, managers, and IC).
- Deep understanding and competence around US employment law and best practices, experience with international employment law is preferred.
- Lead a complex organization.
- Improve the effectiveness of the executive team.
- Dealt with complex employer relation issues.
- Deep understanding of recruiting tactics, metrics, and capacity planning.
- Helped develop career paths, promotion reviews and compensation cycles.
- Familiar with the issues that public companies face.
- Leadership at GitLab
- Able to plan ahead for future hires and hire according to plan.
- Growth experience, worked at organizations that more than doubled year of year in number of people.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values, and an ambassador of our values externally.
- Help reinforce our values internally.
- Dogfooding: Willingness to work with git and GitLab, using GitLab workflows within the People Ops team.
- Collaboration: Respond to company criticism quickly, effectively, and visibly.
- Results: Do what we promised to each other, customers, users, and investors.
- Efficiency: Concise in written and spoken communication.
- Diversity: Increase the diversity and inclusion at GitLab.
- Iteration: quickly ship after defining an issue.
- Transparency: Commitment to making People Operations as open and transparent as possible.
- An ambassador for the employer brand of their organization.
- Enthusiasm for and broad experience with quickly learning new software tools.
- Become known as the company for all remote and other adopt it.
- Find ways to hire people in as many locations around the world.
- International HR or People Ops experience.
- Efficient result based training programs that also train non-team-members.
- You help reinforce our communication guidelines.
- Open to doing things differently that at former engagements.
- Able to select the right metrics to focus on.
- Experience with how to efficiently collect metrics.
- Make data informed business cases and tradeoffs for decisions.
- Able to articulate and quantify a compensation philosophy logic.
- Able to achieve company wide consistency in bonuses, promotions, raises, refreshes, leadership development.
- Able to measure the effectiveness of interviewers and the caliber of new hires.
- Analytical and methodical approach to performance and compensation reviews.
- Quantitative approach to identifying high-potentials and underperformance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Successful completion of a background check.
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it
listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are
advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are
interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS),
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed
requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more
detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity and inclusion,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto.