The GitLab team has grown quickly and plans to continue to grow while maintaining our culture of remote working, embracing development, and building scalable people-oriented policies. The Chief People Officer (CPO) is a strategic leader and consultant that oversees the People Success (People Operations, Learning & Development, Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging, Total Rewards, People Business Partners) and Recruiting functions. The CPO is empowered to grow teams, make data-driven decisions, and deliver transparent and people first programs.
- Provide strategy and oversight of the administration of our compensation, benefits, and HRIS system
- Work to refine and improve our global compensation frameworks including the Global Compensation Calculator
- Advise the executive team on relevant compliance and employment law and introduce best practices to protect the organization
- Develop and implement effective training programs for GitLab employees and community
- Harness the existing culture and values when building out internal people-related policies while devising new ways to reinforce and improve upon the culture
- Manage talent initiatives from recruiting and onboarding to employee retention and offboarding
- Identify and measure organizational KPIs and OKRs for the People Division
- Implement a global program for evaluating performance and providing feedback
- Advise the company on all legal issues related to employment
- Evaluate and manage all third party People Ops vendors and partners
- Manage and grow the People Division
- Report directly to the CEO
People Success Experience
- You have more than 5 years of experience in a People Success executive position(s) or an HR executive position. In those roles, you had at least 3 levels reporting to you (directors, managers, and IC's).
- You'll bring a deep understanding of US employment law and associated best practices. Someone with experience in international employment law is preferred.
- You've led a complex organization.
- You'll improve the effectiveness of the executive team.
- Your experience will aide us as we deal with complex employer-relation issues.
- You'll bring a deep understanding of recruiting tactics, metrics, and capacity planning.
- You've helped develop career paths, promotion reviews, and compensation cycles in previous roles.
- You're familiar with the issues that public companies face.
- You'll embody the approach we expect from Executive Group leadership at GitLab
- You can learn how to use GitLab
- You'll bring some international HR or People Ops experience.
- You're able to plan for future hires and hire according to that plan.
- You've worked in high growth environments. As an example, you could have worked at an organization that has more-than-doubled the number of team members year over year
- You'll share our values, work following those values.
- You'll help reinforce and nurture our values internally.
- Dogfooding: Eating our dog food is important to us. You'll demonstrate a willingness to work with git and GitLab while using GitLab workflows within the People Ops team.
- Collaboration: You'll respond to company criticism quickly, effectively, and visibly. You'll foster and support an inclusive environment within the People team and the wider organization.
- Results: It's important we do what we promised to each other, customers, users, and investors. You'll demonstrate this in your approach to leadership.
- Efficiency: You'll bring boring solutions to the team, constantly look for efficiency improvements across GitLab, and holding other e-group members accountable for upholding their efficiency too.
- Diversity: You'll help us increase the diversity of the team, and better the feelings of inclusion and belonging at GitLab.
- Iteration: You'll do the smallest thing possible and get it out as quickly as possible. Minimal Viable Change is how we all work here.
- Transparency: You'll be committed to making the People Team as open and transparent as possible.
- You'll demonstrate the ability to engage, motivate & inspire a global People team
- We're able to hire team members across the globe. Part of your role will involve discovering approaches that help us hire team members in as many locations around the world as possible.
- You'll help reinforce our communication guidelines. As you'll see, our approach to communication is unique and you'll need to be comfortable adapting your own style.
- You'll efficiently collect and select the right metrics that'll lead to impactful reporting and change.
- You'll make data-informed business cases and utilize data to understand the tradeoffs for those decisions.
- You're able to articulate and quantify a compensation philosophy logic.
- You help us achieve company-wide consistency in bonuses, promotions, raises, refreshes, leadership development.
- Your ideas and insights will aide us as we look to measure the effectiveness of interviewers and the caliber of new hires.
- You'll adopt an analytical and methodical approach to performance and compensation reviews.
- Quantitative methods will underpin your approach for identifying high-potential and underperformance.
- You'll bring concise written and verbal communication skills to the team
- You'll complete our background check.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule at least 2 screening calls with one of our Global Recruiters or Talent Acquisition Partners.
- Then a 50 minute meeting with the CEO/Co-Founder,
- Next, a round of 3 separate 50 minute interviews with the VP of Recruiting, the Senior Director, People Operations and the Chief Legal Officer,
- Next, a 80 minute interview with the CEO/Co-Founder,
- Next, a round of 4 separate 50 minute interviews with the other executives; Chief Financial Officer, the Chief Revenue Officer, The Chief Marketing Officerr, and either the Executive Vice President of Engineering or the Executive Vice President of Product,
- Then we will introduce final candidates to the Board of Directors and may involve another round of interviews or meetings with selected board members;
- Finally, as a part of the reference check stage, our CEO/Co-Founder will request the candidate's last 360 review and will share theirs as well and schedule a call to review the feedback on both sides.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.