- You are here:
- Product Roles
- Group Manager, Product
As the Group Manager, Product, you will be responsible for managing and building a team that focuses on a specific GitLab DevOps Stage. This role typically manages 2-4 Product Managers, and reports either to a Director of Product or the VP of Product.
- Make sure you have a great product team (recruit and hire, sense of progress, promote proactively, identify underperformance)
- Work on the vision with the Director of Product, VP of Product Strategy, VP of Product, and CEO; and communicate this vision internally and externally
- Distill the overall vision into a compelling roadmap
- Make sure the vision advances in every release and communicate this
- Communicate our vision though demo's, conference speaking, blogging, and interviews
- Work closely with Product Marketing, Sales, Engineering, etc.
- Ensure that the next milestone contains the most relevant items to customers, users, and us
- Work with customers, users, and other teams to make feature proposals enticing, actionable, and small
- Make sure the DevOps tools are up to date
- Keep /direction up to date as our high level roadmap
- Regularly join customer and partner visits that can lead to new features
- Ensure that we translate user demands to features that make them happy but keep the product UI clean and the codebase maintainable
- Make sure the release announcements are attractive and cover everything
- Be present on social media (hacker news, twitter, stack overflow, mailinglist), especially around releases
- 1-3 years experience managing others
- 4-6 years of experience in product management
- Experience hiring teams in high growth companies
- Experience in DevOps
- Experience with solutions from the product category or DevOps stage you will be responsible for
- Technical background or clear understanding of developer products; familiarity with Git, Continuous Integration, Containers, Kubernetes, and Project Management software a plus
- Additional requirements are outlined in the Product Management Career Development Framework
- You are living wherever you want and are excited about the all remote lifestyle
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Leadership at GitLab
- Ability to use GitLab
Primary Performance Indicators for the Role
Group Managers, Product are assigned to one of our DevOps stages and manage groups of Product Managers within that stage.
You will be responsible for a team of PMs building out lovable support for the Configure stage categories including infrastructure as code, Auto DevOps and Kubernetes Management.
You will be responsible for a team of PMs building out lovable support for the Monitor stage categories including APM, Incident Management and synthetic monitoring.
You will be responsible for a team of PMs building out lovable support for the Secure stage groups including static analysis, dynamic analysis and composition analysis both within development as well as operations.
You will be responsible for a team of PMs building out lovable support for the Defend stage groups including application security, infrastructure security, anomaly detection, and threat management.
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it
listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are
advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are
interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS),
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed
requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more
detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity and inclusion,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.