- You are here:
- Product Roles
- Growth Product Manager
We're looking for a product manager for our usage growth efforts. You'll be the first team member of a new team within GitLab that focuses on getting more people use more of GitLab.
In particular, we're looking for someone that is data-oriented and has prior growth experience. It's not a must to have held a product manager position before, but it's preferable. Having founded your own startup is a plus.
We work in quite a unique way at GitLab, where lots of flexibility and independence is mixed with a high paced, pragmatic way of working. And everything we do is in the open.
We recommend looking at our primer to get started.
- Identify low-performing features and workflows in GitLab and work towards improving these by designing and conducting experiments, A/B tests, etc
- Help build a usage growth team by hiring data scientists and engineers
- Build and expand features that help our customers understand their own usage better and adopt more of GitLab
- Create dashboards for actionable insight into any and all of GitLab's usage data
- Create and execute an event-driven analytics strategy
- Investigate reasons for churn and address these
- Help the rest of GitLab Inc use and adopt data tools
- Work together closely with the rest of the (product) team to help GitLab become more data-driven
You are not responsible for
- Shipping in time. As a PM you are part of a team that delivers a change, the team is responsible for shipping in time, not you.
- A team of engineers. PMs at GitLab do not manage people, they manage the product. You'll be required to take the lead in decisions about the product, but it's not your role to manage the people that build the product.
- Capacity and availability planning. You will work together with engineering managers on schedules and planning: you prioritize, the engineering managers determine how much can be scheduled.
- Strong background in data science
- Proficient in SQL, specific experience with Postgres a plus
- Experience using tools such as Mixpanel, Amplitude, Looker
- Experience in product management
- Understanding of Git and Git workflows
- Strong technically. You understand how software is built, packaged and deployed.
- Passion for design and usability
- Highly independent and pragmatic
- Excellent proficiency in English
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Bonus points: experience with GitLab
- Bonus points: experience in working with open source projects
- Bonus points: Machine learning experience
- Plan and execute on improvements in GitLab related to growth
- Write specs and create wireframes to communicate your plans
- Ship improvements every month and make it possible to report on those improvements
- Do data analysis whenever useful
- Assist the rest of the team with topics related to growth
- Build and expand tools related to growth (version.gitlab.com and others)
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30min screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with the VP of Product
- Next, second interview with a product manager
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule a third interview with a data engineer or manager
- Candidates may be asked to meet with additional team members at the manager's discretion
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS), Greenhouse.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto.