Product Analysts at GitLab are curious, highly strategic, and focused on making GitLab better through trusted data insights. Working with all business divisions, they look at customer behaviors across the customer journey and help make the customer experience and business outcomes better. As a member of the team, the successful candidate will develop BI solutions to understand usage activity, create and own multiple Product Key Performance Indicators, develop a deep understanding of product health and the customer experience, advance data acumen across the company, and promote strategic decisions through data storytelling.
This is an individual contributor position and reports to Product, with close partnership to the Data Team.
This is a Job Grade Level 6.
- Perform strategic and ad-hoc data work in support of Product Managers
- Identify opportunities in data to accelerate product adoption, retention, engagement, and/or monetization
- Develop dashboards and define metrics that inform success for the Product Team
- Help design, execute and evaluate A/B tests to improve the user journey
- Explore large, complex, and loosely defined datasets to create actionable insights
- Serve as the Technical DRI for the Product Key Performance Indicators
- Serve as the Business DRI for the Product areas of the Enterprise Dimensional Model – the future of Trusted Data @ GitLab
- Explain trends across data sources, potential opportunities for growth or improvement, and data caveats for descriptive, diagnostic, predictive (including forecasting), and prescriptive data projects
- Develop user archetypes and build dashboards to demonstrate their usage patterns
- Capture and document data user stories, use cases, and workflows
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices
- Operate in an iterative mindset, focused on delivering improvements and value at high velocity
- Document every action in either issue/MR templates, the handbook, or READMEs so your learnings turn into repeatable actions and then into automation following the GitLab tradition of handbook first!
- Work collaboratively with product team members such as: product managers, engineering, design, as well as with core data team members such as DA and data engineers
- 6+ years of experience, leveraging descriptive and predictive data techniques
- 4+ years of experience focused on feature and usage metrics, A/B testing, conversion and retention, segmentation, and developing user archetypes and their usage patterns
- 2+ years of experience uncovering data insights to form hypothesis, designing product experiments, evaluating results and making recommendation
- Advanced Level SQL
- Advanced BI dashboard development (we use SiSense)
- Experience working with a Data Warehouse built using Kimball dimensional modeling
- Ability to design, document, and communicate models using Entity Relationship Diagrams
- Able to read Ruby to trace data flows and code paths
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization, being collabrative and supportive.
- Ability to use GitLab
- Previous experience supporting product or growth team
- Comfortable with fast-pace and ambiguity in a start-up environment
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that applicants can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 min. screening call with one of our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with the a Data team Leader.
- Next, candidates will be invited to interview with 1-4 teammates, including hiring manager.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.