Product Analysts at GitLab are curious, highly strategic, and focused on making GitLab better through trusted data insights. Working with product teams, they look at customer behaviors across the customer journey and help make the customer experience and business outcomes better. As a member of the product data analysis team, the successful candidate will develop BI solutions to understand usage activity, create and own multiple Product Key Performance Indicators, develop a deep understanding of product health and the customer experience, advance data acumen across the company, and promote strategic decisions through data storytelling.
There are levels below in this job family.
This role reports to the Director of Product, Growth as part of the Product team, with close partnership with the Data Team.
This role is a Job Grade Level 6.
- Perform strategic and ad-hoc data work in support of Product Managers
- Identify opportunities in data to accelerate product adoption, retention, engagement, and/or monetization
- Develop dashboards and define metrics that inform success for the Product Team
- Help design, execute and evaluate A/B tests to improve the user journey
- Explore large, complex, and loosely defined datasets to create actionable insights
- Serve as the Technical DRI for the Product Key Performance Indicators
- Serve as the Business DRI for the Product areas of the Enterprise Dimensional Model – the future of Trusted Data @ GitLab
- Explain trends across data sources, potential opportunities for growth or improvement, and data caveats for descriptive, diagnostic, predictive (including forecasting), and prescriptive data projects
- Develop user archetypes and build dashboards to demonstrate their usage patterns
- Capture and document data user stories, use cases, and workflows
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices
- Operate in an iterative mindset, focused on delivering improvements and value at high velocity
- Document every action in either issue/MR templates, the handbook, or READMEs so your learnings turn into repeatable actions and then into automation following the GitLab tradition of handbook first!
- Work collaboratively with product team members such as: product managers, engineering, design, as well as with core data team members such as DA and data engineers
- 3+ years of experience, leveraging descriptive and predictive data techniques
- 2+ years of experience focused on feature and usage metrics, A/B testing, conversion and retention, segmentation, and developing user archetypes and their usage patterns
- 1+ years of experience uncovering data insights to form hypothesis, designing product experiments, evaluating results and making recommendation
- Advanced Level SQL
- Advanced BI dashboard development (we use SiSense)
- Experience working with a Data Warehouse built using Kimball dimensional modeling
- Ability to design, document, and communicate models using Entity Relationship Diagrams
- Able to read Ruby to trace data flows and code paths
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization, being collaborative and supportive.
- Ability to use GitLab
- Previous experience supporting product or growth team
- Comfortable with fast-pace and ambiguity in a start-up environment
Senior Product Analyst
This role is a grade 7.
Similar to Product Analyst, with the experience requirements adjusted to:
- 6+ years of experience, leveraging descriptive and predictive data techniques
- 4+ years of experience focused on feature and usage metrics, A/B testing, conversion and retention, segmentation, and developing user archetypes and their usage patterns
- 2+ years of experience uncovering data insights to form hypothesis, designing product experiments, evaluating results and making recommendation
Manager, Product Data Analysis
This role is a grade 8.
All of the requirements of a Senior Product Analyst, plus relevant management experience:
- 2+ years of experience managing and developing a data analytics team
- 2+ years of experience responsible for planning, solutioning, work allocation & prioritization, stakeholder management and cross-functional collaboration as a data team lead
This manager is expected to manage a small team of ICs, while also contributing in the Senior Product Analyst capacity, as described above.
- Manage and lead a high performing team of ICs, including day-to-day assignments, weekly 1-1s, bi-weekly milestone planning, quarterly reviews, and annual objectives
- Create efficient process to prioritize data requests and maximize the output of the team
- Proactively identify strategic opportunities for product team via data analysis
- Collaborate with central data team to improve data infrastructure & process
- Help create a leading product Data Program to support GitLab's vision and advocate a data-driven culture
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that applicants can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 min. screening call with one of our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with the a Data team Leader.
- Next, candidates will be invited to interview with 1-4 teammates, including hiring manager.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
To find out more about the compensation for this role, please
apply to a role
first. Once selected for a screening call, you'll be able to sign up here to view our
Be sure to use the same email address for both.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity,
Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Friends and Family days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.