- You are here:
- Product Roles
- VP of Product Strategy
The VP of Product Strategy reports to the CEO and focuses on long-range impact including research, strategic initiatives, product strategy, and corporate development.
Research includes exploring technical and product topics of high uncertainty that may not bear fruit for a year or more, if ever. These are typically topics that are harder for the product-facing engineering organization to address. While the main goal is to develop and provide insight that the product engineering org can build on, it may include shipping early iterations to production.
- Explore cutting-edge technologies, tools, and trends.
- Produce research prototypes and mockups in far-future areas.
Strategic initiatives have significant organizational impact or revenue potential, often exceeding $10M ARR, but that may not bear fruit for a year or more. This includes significant sales and partner programs.
- Identify and execute on key programs.
- Champion technical, product, and process change such as moving to realtime, getting to continuous deployment for GitLab.com, and incorporating product discovery.
Product vision and strategy has a timescale of longer than a year.
- Own the product vision and strategy.
- Communicate the product vision and strategy with text and visual means (direction pages, blog posts, mockups, clickable demos, presentations, etc.).
- Contribute to product and R&D planning.
Corporate Development at GitLab is all about acquisitions.
- Identify acquisition areas and targets.
- Execute acquisitions.
- Ensure successful post-merger integration.
Represent the company
- Part of the face of the company with blog posts, speaking engagements, customer visits, etc., especially to convey our vision and strategy.
- Have a strong, articulate, and correct vision for the future of GitLab and current shortcomings.
- Technical background.
- Enterprise software experience.
- Developer tool or platform industry experience.
- SaaS and self-managed (on-premises) experience.
- You are living wherever you want and are excited about the all remote lifestyle
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Leadership at GitLab
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it
listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are
advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are
interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS),
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed
requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more
detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity and inclusion,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.