- You are here:
- Sales Roles
- Area Sales Manager
We are looking for Area Sales Managers (ASM) in all of our territory selling markets. As the ASM, you will lead a dynamic sales team and help GitLab surpass our growth goals. Reporting to the Regional Sales Director, you will be responsible for hiring, developing and leading a high-performing team of Strategic Account Leaders to meet and exceed sales goals. The right candidate is truly passionate about open source software and has a proven track record to talk about! This is an exciting opportunity to unequivocally influence GitLab’s overall success and growth.
- Drives, manages and executes the business and revenue of a sales team
- Analyzes market dynamics in an effort to maximize existing successes and to create new sales growth opportunities
- Prepares forecasts, territory/industry management, and growth plans
- Educates team on significant industry factors including competitive products, regulations, trends, customer needs, and pricing
- Establishes and reports on metrics to measure team performance; correct deficiencies where necessary
- Ensures that the sales plan is aligned with and supports the corporate revenue goal
- Manages a team of 5-10 Strategic Account Leaders; fosters a successful and positive team environment
- 10+ years experience in field sales, operations and leadership in open source software or software DevOps environment
- Experience selling to Fortune 500; willingness to “roll up your sleeves” and sell
- Proven track record of meeting or exceeding performance objectives (revenue targets, pipeline targets, etc.)
- Experience utilizing CRM systems and marketing automation systems (such as Salesforce, Clari, Marketo, etc).
- Ability to exercise effective judgment, sensitivity, creativity to changing needs and situations; ability to handle a fast-paced environment and challenging workload
- Strong relationship building and negotiation skills
- Strong presentation skills; Executive level communication skills (both written and verbal) and the ability to mentor others
- Ability to travel as needed
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Leadership at GitLab
As with all roles in the Sales Department the Area Sales Manager participates in the Sales KPIs.
In addition to the areas outlined above, Federal ASM’s have the following additional responsibilities and requirements:
- Work closely with Director of Public Sector Sales to develop and execute Strategic Account Plans for key Federal agencies.
- At least five 5 years of sales management, selling software or hardware through a two tiered channel eco system including distribution, corporate resellers, and value added resellers (VARS) into Federal government
- At least 10 years of experience selling software or hardware through a two tiered channel eco system including distribution, corporate resellers, and value added resellers (VARS) into Federal government
- Must be a high performing sales manager with a proven track record of consistently exceeding established measurements for goals and objectives into Fed
- Must have expertise around GSA, Federal procurement and the various buying vehicles to enable growth in software sales via our distribution partners
- Knowledge of open source enterprise software and/or version control is highly desirable
- Exceptional knowledge of Federal infrastructure and agencies
- A security clearance is a plus
Commercial Hiring Process
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Application Review
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with the recruiter.
- Next, candidates will be invited to complete a Manager Style Questionnaire assessment that the hiring manager will review.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 50 minute interview with the VP of Commercial Sales.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minutes interview with one of our Vice Presidents
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute interview with one of our Regional Sales Directors
- Lastly, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute presentation interview with all previous interviewers.
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer.
As always, the interviews and screening call will be conducted via a video call. See more details about our interview process here.
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it
listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are
advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are
interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS),
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed
requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more
detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity and inclusion,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.