- You are here:
- Sales Roles
- Technical Instructional Designer, Customer Education
The Instructional Designer position is a critical role within GitLab’s Sales and Customer Enablement team. The Technical Instructional Designer,
Customer Education is responsible for designing and developing new, engaging, and effective learning solutions and instructional experiences for GitLab customers, partners, and sales & customer success professionals that help these audiences achieve desired learning outcomes. This role must be able to analyze, design, and develop blended, interactive, online and in-person learning solutions (with an emphasis on scalable online learning solutions) using sound instructional design principles. The primary audience for learning content will be external GitLab customers. Secondary audiences include GitLab partners as well as internal sales team members.
- Design and develop experiential learning solutions that support adult learning best practices, address needs identified in a job/task analysis, drive behavior change, and improve performance of GitLab customers, partners, and sales teams
- Follow GitLab branding guidelines and standards to ensure content is professional and consistent with corporate look and feel for external audiences
- Create and curate customer learning content using the latest technology and innovative techniques (especially via but not limited to scalable online delivery)
- Build and maintain valued relationships with key stakeholders and external vendors
- Design interactive courseware and video using adult learning theory that appeals to various learning styles and international audiences
- Utilize various modern authoring tools to rapidly build enjoyable, positive learning experiences that are interactive, effective and technically functional
- Develop instructionally sound knowledge, skill, and job performance-based assessments
- Evaluate the business impact of learning programs through the use of learning and performance metrics
- Gain a working knowledge of the various functional and technological product areas of GitLab
- Closely partner and collaborate with other members of the Sales and Customer Enablement team to continuously improve existing learning programs based on the latest research in adult education
- Meet all milestones and final deliverables by deadlines; when delays do occur, work with the team to estimate, monitor, adjust, and proactively communicate revised deadlines as needed
- Be a mentor to sales enablement program managers, trainers, and business partners on best practices in instructional design and enablement solutions
- Take on additional projects and responsibilities as needed
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s Degree in Instructional Development, Training Education/Communication is preferred
- 5+ years related work experience in B2B SaaS customer, partner, and/or sales training instructional design (or equivalent combination of transferable experience and education)
- Deep experience designing and developing learning programs across delivery mediums and content types (mobile learning, e-learning, video, gamification, virtual learning, live simulation, and live classroom)
- Proven experience designing and developing scalable, engaging, online customer training is a must
- Demonstrated experience working with multiple industry recognized instructional design models preferred
- Must have the ability to work in an ever-changing, project-driven environment with a strong design sensibility when creating all customer, partner, and sales training and enablement instructional materials
- Strong oral and written communication skills and diverse experience working with internal customers and stakeholders in both live and virtual environments
- Proven ability to clearly articulate complex concepts in simple terms is essential
- Excellent team player
- Must be detail oriented and have strong project management skills needing minimal supervision
- Experience with a wide range of modern elearning authoring tools (e.g. recent versions of Adobe Captivate, Articulate 360 Suite, Go Animate, Elucidat, etc.)
- Working knowledge and application experience using reveal.js, Adobe Creative Suite (Premiere, Captivate, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), and other industry benchmark applications and online multimedia authoring tools
- HTML5, xAPI, mobile learning, and adaptive learning experience desired
- Experience working with a variety of Learning Management and Learning Experience Systems and various virtual meeting management tools such as Zoom is a plus
- Familiarity with statically generated websites are preferred, as we take a handbook-first approach to Sales and Customer Enablement
- Knowledge of the software development life cycle, DevOps, and/or open source software is preferred
- Ability to use GitLab
- Learner satisfaction scores
- Number and percentage of on-time, on-budget learning solutions delivered
- Additional performance indicators to be determined
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Videoconference (or phone) screen interview with a GitLab Talent Acquisition team member
- Videoconference interview with GitLab's Senior Solutions Manager, Customer and Partner Education
- Videoconference interviews with 2-3 additional GitLab team members
- Final videoconference interview with the Director, Sales and Customer Enablement
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it
listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are
advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are
interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS),
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed
requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more
detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity and inclusion,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.