This position is remote based.
At GitLab, developers are independent and self-organized individual contributors who work together as a tight team in a remote and agile way.
The Database team works on developing solutions for scalability, application performance, data growth and developer enablement especially where it concerns interactions with the database.
Most backend developers work on all aspects of GitLab, building features, fixing bugs, and generally improving the application. The Database Team is responsible for making application changes to improve database performance, availability and reliability. Additionally, the Backend Engineer, Database will be expected to review database-related code with the goal of eventually becoming a Database Maintainer.
- Develop new features in collaboration with our product management, UX, and frontend teams.
- Keep changes small and iterate towards the best solution.
- Reviewing database related changes submitted by other engineers or community contributors
- Documenting database best practices or patterns to avoid
- Developing tooling to proactively inform developers of potential performance issues
- Research, design and implement solutions to improve product performance
- Significant professional software engineering experience with PostgreSQL in large production environments
- Significant experience with Ruby on Rails or other Ruby frameworks
- You can reason about software, algorithms, and performance from a high level
- You are passionate about open source.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Self-motivated and have strong organizational skills.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Experience in a peak performance organization, preferably a tech startup
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor
- Product company experience
- Experience working with a remote team
- Enterprise software company experience
- Developer platform/tool industry experience
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about/experienced with open source and developer tools
The compensation calculator for this role can be found here.