Remote, United States
GitLab is looking to hire our first corporate attorney. As Director of Legal, Corporate, you will be responsible for establishing and leading this role and advising clients across GitLab on a broad range of corporate law matters.
Our Director of Legal, Corporate will be a critical member of our legal team and will report to our Chief Legal Officer. The attorney in this role will be responsible for collaborating with and advising our team members and effectively utilizing internal and external resources with an eye toward efficiently continuing to manage corporate legal matters as GitLab continues to scale.
- Partner with executives, senior management and other stakeholders to address corporate law and related matters;
- Advise on, draft, maintain and review templates and policies for corporate law matters, including securities, governance, equity plan, executive compensation and M&A;
- Work closely with our finance and accounting teams and auditors on legal issues relevant to accounting treatment;
- Provide support to administration of equity plans;
- Collaborate cross-functionally with key stakeholders across the business, including those within the finance, stock administration, accounting, people operations, and marketing teams;
- Monitor and analyze changes in corporate law and legal risks and propose creative and effective solutions to address those risks;
- Anticipate legal issues or risks and build the necessary processes and systems to minimize any potential impact;
- Manage outside counsel relationships as necessary
- 10+ years combined law firm and in-house legal department experience, preferably as a lead corporate lawyer in a multinational company;
- JD/US law degree and bar admission in at least US one state;
- Proven success working effectively across business units and internal functions to efficiently resolve complex business and risk management issues while considering many non-legal variables, such as culture, brand, communications, government relations, tax, insurance, finance and other functional areas;
- Experience advising executives and employees about corporate governance, securities and other corporate matters;
- In-house public company experience and strong knowledge of '33 Act and '34 Act;
- Practical yet creative problem-solving approach that emphasizes addressing business needs while protecting GitLab’s interests;
- Proactive, dynamic, and result driven self starter with strong attention to detail; Familiarity working across the globe, to support multiple time zones and cultures
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, the ability to interface effectively with all business functions throughout the organization with a highly responsive and service-oriented attitude;
- Sound and practical business judgment;
- Previous experience in a remote work environment would be an added advantage;
- Willingness to learn and utilize GitLab;
- Successful completion of a background check.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- 30 minute screening call with Recruiter
- 50 minute interview with our Chief Legal Officer
- 50 minute interview with another member of our Legal team
- 50 minute interview with Director, People Operations
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.