Remote, United States
GitLab is looking to hire our first employment attorney. As employment counsel, you will be responsible for establishing this role and advising clients across GitLab on a broad range of employment law matters affecting our global team member base.
Our Employment Counsel will be a critical member of our legal team and will report to our Chief Legal Officer. The attorney in this role will be responsible for collaborating with and advising our People Group team members and effectively utilizing internal and external resources with an eye toward efficiently continuing to manage employment matters responsibly around the world.
- Partner with People Group team members and other stakeholders to address employment law and related matters;
- Advise on, draft, maintain and review templates and policies for employment matters, including employment agreements, policies, contractor agreements, separation agreements, and the company handbook;
- Counsel management and People Business Partners on a broad spectrum of employment law issues, including hiring, recruiting, employee relations, leaves of absence, accommodations, and compensation and benefits;
- Monitor and analyze changes in the law and legal risks related to employment policies and decisions, and propose creative and effective solutions to address those risks;
- Contribute to developing and conducting subject specific training and education programs for team members, managers, and the People Group team members;
- Anticipate legal issues or risks and build the necessary processes and systems to address them;
- Manage outside counsel relationships as necessary
- 10+ years combined law firm and in-house legal department experience, preferably as a lead employment lawyer in a multinational company
- JD/US law degree and bar admission in at least US one state
- Proven success working effectively across business units and internal functions to efficiently resolve complex business and risk management issues while considering many non-legal variables, such as culture, brand, communications, government relations, tax, insurance, finance and other functional areas
- Experience with employment law in the US and in non-US jurisdictions
- Practical yet creative problem-solving approach that emphasizes addressing business needs while protecting GitLab’s interests
- Proactive, dynamic, and result driven self starter with strong attention to detail
- Familiarity working across the globe, to support multiple time zones and cultures
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, the ability to interface effectively with all business functions throughout the organization with a highly responsive and service-oriented attitude
- Sound and practical business judgment
- Previous experience in a remote work environment would be an added advantage
- Ability to use GitLab
- Successful completion of a background check.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- 30 minute screening call with Recruiter
- 50 minute interview with our Chief Legal Officer
- 50 minute interview with another member our Legal team
- 50 minute interview with Director, People Operations
- 50 minute interview with our Chief Financial Officer
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.