- You are here:
- Chief Operating Officer (COO)
The chief operating officer (COO) is responsible for using data to make GitLab's customers more effective.
- Software is eating the world.
- Every company needs to become an effective software company to survive.
- Effective software companies have a short time to value.
- GitLab is the only integrated product that can help you reduce time to value.
- This will be a long journey and we will partner with our customers to achieve it.
- Together devise a plan to improve the time to value and we provide content and services.
- Organizes around the world share the best software development practices in GitLab.
- GitLab partners with every large organization to reduce time to value.
Right now every large enterprise is suffering from a lack of consistency:
- Not using the same tools
- Not using the same integrations
- Not using the same configuration
- Not using the same work processes
- Not being judged on the same metrics
And they have processes the block reducing time to value, for example:
- Security reviews that are blocking until approved
- Infrastructure that has to be provisioned
- Fixed release windows
- Production that needs to approve releases
- SOX compliance sign offs that need to happen
- QA cycles
- Separate QA teams
- Separate build teams
Use data to communicate the same message to the customer throughout all communication from GitLab as a company and product:
- Customer Success (SAs game plans)
- Sales (auto generated presentations)
- Support (intake)
- Marketing (case studies, ROI calculator, web pages, whitepapers, analysts)
- DevRel (meetups, blog posts
- Product start (Auto DevOps)
- Product hints (you want to use)
- Product interface (where you are in the process)
- Product analytics (ConvDev index)
- Analytics (warehouse and usage ping)
The COO ensures that we that we capturing relevant data, perform analysis, distill insights, and implementing actions based on them.
- Customer success
- Cross department definitions (what is a customer, subscription, sale stage, etc.)
- Data warehouse/data collection
- Analytics/data transformation
- Company dashboard
- Sales enablement
- Cross functional automation (marketing, sales, billing)
- Scaling the company as it grows
The analytics effort is cross-functional:
- Product => what features do people want to pay for?
- Engineering => how do we instrument our product and services?
- Product marketing => what is the most effective message?
- Lead generation => what channels are most effect?
- Initial sale => what free users are most likely to buy?
- Customer Success => who do we message what to increase adoption?
- Also see our market segmentation.
- Large new accounts are handled by account executives and solution architects (pre-sales engineers).
- Small new accounts are handled by our BDR team.
- Large existing accounts are handled by account managers and customer success managers (CSMs).
- Small existing accounts are not touched personally.
- Most people above report to the CRO, the BDRs report to marketing, the TAMs report to the COO.
- Director of the customer success managers
- Data infrastructure/engineering (includes product data, market and business data)
- Analytics (product, marketing, and sales analytics, partner with leadership, more than business intelligence)
- Data science (machine learning, coding, AI, part digital sales/gtm, part growth team on product side)
- Go to market operations (sales, marketing, and customer success automation)
- VP of Scaling (moving more towards data science)
- Professional Services (part deploy and conversion, part SDLC workflow)
- The COO owns the user journey. Although product, marketing, and sales don't report up to the COO they are accountable in that regard.
- Experience successfully leading a comparable effort
- Result focus
- Demonstrated use of analytics to double down on successful efforts
- Outstanding written communication skills
- Desire to develop a team
- Ability to partner with other executive team members
- Successful completion of a background check.
We're not recruiting yet for this position.